A question about bumble bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have small bumble bees in the loft, and now these bigger ones in a hole on the side of the house , I found a big one today that looks like its wings have rotted away, I presume its a disease {I don't have any honey bees as yet so not very knowledgeable }. I killed it because it seemed to be suffering ,would this be a one off or are they all likely to have the same thing ? if so would it be kinder to kill them all or just let nature run its course?
Thanks in advance

I assume that there is the usual trickle of more healthy bumbles to and from the hole? Bumbles have their own diseases and predators. That wing deformity looks like a hatching defect. I can only suggest that you keep an eye open to answer your own question and see if it is an isolated case or a more general problem, but please let nature run its course.

Thanks for the reply I will take your advise ;)

I saw another bee apparently mating with a very large bumblebee a couple of days ago. Funny though because the 'mating' bee didn't look like a bumblebee. When I thought about getting my camera they both flew off attached to each other. Probably off to join the 'mile high club'. Lucky sods!

I saw another bee apparently mating with a very large bumblebee a couple of days ago. Funny though because the 'mating' bee didn't look like a bumblebee. When I thought about getting my camera they both flew off attached to each other. Probably off to join the 'mile high club'. Lucky sods!

I got some pictures of something similar earlier this year. The male (I assume, it was the one on top!) was only about half the size of the other. I can probably find the pics, but is this the right forum? :)

We have some bramble in flower near us, will bumbles forage it. If so, could that explain the tatty wings? Or are these wings too tatty to be explained away by harsh forage?

Sorry Rink lol, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but the question does tie in with your original question. Just tell me to mind my own bizz if you think not :p

We have some bramble in flower near us, will bumbles forage it. If so, could that explain the tatty wings? Or are these wings too tatty to be explained away by harsh forage?

Sorry Rink lol, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but the question does tie in with your original question. Just tell me to mind my own bizz if you think not :p

Look at the picture. -That's not a 'tatty' worn wing, it's deformed.

Look at the picture. -That's not a 'tatty' worn wing, it's deformed.

Yeah, when I went back to the picture I clocked the wing on the right. A crumpled little thing. I was just concentrating on the wing on the left. Don't know why i didn't see that wing on the right first time.

Would bumbles get raggedy wings from foraging though? I know hbs do sometimes.

I'm sure they do get ragged from general wear and tear, but I think the worst wing damage comes from fights with wasps or other bees (robbing etc).

Back