6 Frame Double Brood Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a fashion yes, the 19mm ply is too thick to double up though so you need something half as thick to double up against the 19mm ply, if you are interested in making one or two i will take some more picture for you tomorrow of the inside.

Thanks Millet. No, I was just curious how you solved the bee space problem along the side walls. I've made some plywood nucs (which I only use if desperate) - but I used the standard layout for the side walls.
Kitta

Thanks Millet. No, I was just curious how you solved the bee space problem along the side walls. I've made some plywood nucs (which I only use if desperate) - but I used the standard layout for the side walls.
Kitta

Bee space on side walls. Each frame is 35 mm. The boath side walls need 5 mm space which is missing with next frame instead of wall.

Number of frames x 35 mm + 10 mm. If you give more space, bees make fatter frames, and that is not handy.

12 mm would be handy too. Propolis in frame shoulders makes the box tight to handle.

Someone needs to look up the definition of a nucleus hive.

Is that aimed at me ? , if so you can buy 5/6 frame nucleus colonies and you can also buy 5/6 frame empty nucleus boxes, i did the 6 frame version with the added option of being able to add a frame feeder if need be.

-i did the 6 frame version with the added option of being able to add a frame feeder if need be.

But, shirley, 'double brooding' a 6 frame box makes 12 frames - the same size as a 'full sized' National hive.

-i did the 6 frame version with the added option of being able to add a frame feeder if need be.

But, shirley, 'double brooding' a 6 frame box makes 12 frames - the same size as a 'full sized' National hive.

6 frame nuc makes much sense in beekeeping. I do not make so big nucs but...

- small swarms are often that size.

- to winter a small colony in 6 frames. Ok, but as material ply is not good.

- after winter even big colony has reduced to size of 6 frames. Good to move them. But insulation value is not good to spring build up.

- when a 6 frame colony grows, it is good to give new space under the brood box. When the 2-box nuc is full of bees, time to move normal box.

When Millet has done those boxes, he will see how they work in practice. Nothing bad had happened..

Few years ago I made 6 super boxes from polystyrene insulation boards. Before I got any frame into them, they collapsed through my hands into pieces.

After that I drove to Honey Paradise and I bought old used polyboxes. The price was 6€/box. I bought car full of them. Now I have them and I can saw them into nuc elements.

Last edited:
6 frame nuc makes much sense in beekeeping. I do not make so big nucs but...

- small swarms are often that size.

- to winter a small colony in 6 frames. Ok, but as material ply is not good.

- after winter even big colony has reduced to size of 6 frames. Good to move them. But insulation value is not good to spring build up.

- when a 6 frame colony grows, it is good to give new space under the brood box. When the 2-box nuc is full of bees, time to move normal box.

When Millet has done those boxes, he will see how they work in practice. Nothing bad had happened..

Few years ago I made 6 super boxes from polystyrene insulation boards. Before I got any frame into them, they collapsed through my hands into pieces.

After that I drove to Honey Paradise and I bought old used polyboxes. The price was 6€/box. I bought car full of them. Now I have them and I can saw them into nuc elements.

I will be modifying the floor, i made one last year as a swarm catcher and it worked, however like you said previously the floor has gone mouldy while it has been stood empty, i will be making a separate floor for it.

the floor has gone mouldy while it has been stood empty, i will be making a separate floor for it.

It happens easily. Organic rubbish drop down onto floor. Some degree condensation makes moisture and the wooden floor grows mold very quickly. Pollen takes mould in 2 days. But it is not end of the world. Same happens in natural tree trunk hives.

Change of plan on the Nuc, i decided to make a Open mesh floor with a inspection tray, i cut a piece of dowel (brush shank) and glued and plugged the original entrance hole i drilled, i know this is a double Nuc but if i make another Floor/roof and crown board i will have two, all i need to do now is get some spare Butyl pond rubber from a friend for the roof then this thing cost me next to nothing, that will be next week how ever until i shake this gut bug of.

P.s Redwood i know you advised against ply for the roof but that is all i have at the moment, i have fastened 30mm of silver bubble insulation inside the roof and the full roof will be covered with butyl rubber.

Any constructive advice welcome.
Steve.

IMG_0548_zpsvcobydxn.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsm9p5nxi8.jpg

My nucs have separate floors, all with under hive entrances.
Makes it easy to unite to other nucs/ full size hives
In addition I have turned the floors round and made the entrance along one long side (with the facility to reduce the size at the front) so that I can run them warm way

I made a ply 6 frame nuc eight years ago and all I had to hand to cover the roof was an empty bag of layers mash. It's still the same and it's looking fine. I constructed it with a mesh floor that is held in place with screws and small pieces of the mesh so the floor can be removed if wanted.
What have you done about the sawn edges? After treating with preservative, I ran a bead of wood glue along them and rubbed it in with a cloth.

That makes sense with the floors and side entrance as i prefare the warm way and also for uniting a separate floor will make like so much easier, food for thought, do you have a picture of your side under entrance removable floor or are they still in the making.
Thanks
Steve.

I made a ply 6 frame nuc eight years ago and all I had to hand to cover the roof was an empty bag of layers mash. It's still the same and it's looking fine. I constructed it with a mesh floor that is held in place with screws and small pieces of the mesh so the floor can be removed if wanted.
What have you done about the sawn edges? After treating with preservative, I ran a bead of wood glue along them and rubbed it in with a cloth.

That is a good tip and idea as most wood glue sets clear and water proof, i will give it a go, however i will not bother with a empty bag of layers mash :laughing-smiley-004..
Cheers.
Steve.

Millet
Nail a roofing felt off cut to the ply roof and they lasts for years
View attachment 13879
If i went the felt route i would opt for the torch on type, it sticks like poo to a blanket and lasts forever if the correct heat torch is used, back to your Nuc's is that a national brood box cut in half to make your two Nucs. ? .

Last edited:
That makes sense with the floors and side entrance as i prefare the warm way and also for uniting a separate floor will make like so much easier, food for thought, do you have a picture of your side under entrance removable floor or are they still in the making.
Thanks
Steve.

It's made.
Pictures tomorrow

Make a cosy to cover the whole thing....Time n effort probably works out dearer than a double Payne's nuc though

Back