1 luxury allowed in your bee box, what?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I requested one from the doc last year ..... declined ..... no evidence of hypersensitivity :leaving:

I asserted the fact that one of my apiaries is a teaching apiary and it would be included in my first aid kit. Students know that it is there if they need it.
I hope I never have to use it or see someone else using it but it's one of those things that I would rather have than not have.

Hi, how about lying the first frame out of the brood box on top of the frames,no risk of spreading disease.Ainsie;)

Sorry Ainsie, obviously missed your response much earlier. How about the risk of bending a few bees out of shape, or if you have shaken the bees off. then damaging the stores? I have heard it used, but haven't paid sufficient attention in the past. A frame of foundation would be OK, but I just don't know about as a general rule when the first frame (usually second with Langstroth) out of the box has a bit of weight about it.

the first frame I take out is a dummy board, this gets laid across the majority of the rest of the frames.
anywho, hoffman frames are ok to lay on side if bees shaken off first.

A chilled bottle of Bollingers, if that's to much to ask, a bottle of my favorite red, Chevrey Chambertin....

Brian

the first frame I take out is a dummy board, this gets laid across the majority of the rest of the frames.
anywho, hoffman frames are ok to lay on side if bees shaken off first.

Thanks for that TB. Hadn't thought about it quite like that. Work with Langstroth, so no dummy board and I have a combination of pseudo dummy boards and spare Standard National frames in the 12th position in my own hives which are all 14x12.

It's a sad when we don't each learn at least something new each day. At least it lets us know that we are still alive and kicking.

Back