So what do you keep in your bee keeping tool box when you open hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I normally just have 2 J tools, my smoker and a lighter. But have been recently inspired by another thread to try a scraper.

I started with a traditional hive tool, then tried a J after seeing one in a video. I was an instant convert. I got a second J tool initially for lifting tricky frames. Particularly that 1st one out when there is no dummy. But found its very handy to have 2 when prying boxes apart.

So what kit do you have and find useful?

And what kit have you tried and given up on?

My preferred hive tool: ( have 3 in the apiary. When using one, the other 2 are in a bucket with disinfectant. Each hive I’m using a clean/disinfectant hive tool)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077YS9..._dp_YFGHS8J5JBWFTHF78MWR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
On me I always have a Q clip, Q roller cage, Crown of Thorns, Toma marker, small chargeable flashlight and 1-2 sets of nitrile gloves.

Keep a sealed box in the apiary with smoker fuel & other essentials less frequently used.

As well as above, always carry a pair of tweezers during inspections. Good to pull out any suspect larvae or pupae to look at more closely. Also have an uncapping fork in my soda bucket if I want to look at a small sample of drone brood, to check for varroa.

I always wondered about the soda bucket. If soda kills anything you’d think we could sterilise poly if needed with it but bleach is recommended. My hive tools are the small pocket ones and I have one per hive.
COT. Marker. Spare gloves. Talc so I can change the gloves. Clothes peg to keep my veil back. Tweezers too after seeing my SBI armed with a pair. Spare fuel. Lighter.
What have I thrown away? Inspection cloth and frame rest.

I always wondered about the soda bucket. If soda kills anything you’d think we could sterilise poly if needed with it but bleach is recommended. My hive tools are the small pocket ones and I have one per hive.
COT. Marker. Spare gloves. Talc so I can change the gloves. Clothes peg to keep my veil back. Tweezers too after seeing my SBI armed with a pair. Spare fuel. Lighter.
What have I thrown away? Inspection cloth and frame rest.
I’m using F10 disinfectant. For both tools and cleaning of poly equipment.

https://www.f10products.co.uk/disinfectant-products/

I have two hive tools, lighter, spare smoker fuel, empty plastic container for brace comb, magnifying glass (!), led torch.
I too have got rid of frame rests.

Small box of drawing pins with coloured heads for marking frames and things and a roll of gaffer tape which I've never used but keep just in case ( this is probably a hangover from my years of being a gigging musician )

I've never had a frame rest to get rid of:). In the box, or bucket in my case, are the usual - crown of thorns - roller cage and Q clip - spare hive tool - spare nitrile gloves - bit of egg box and extra smoker fuel - lighter - pens and so on. Most importantly I keep a pair of glasses in there too! I keep a magnifying glass with led on it in my pocket and another queen clip. I'm going to add some tweezers having read that idea above and maybe ditch the cocktail sticks. I have multiple hive tools but again like the idea of using one mini hive tool per hive rather than one per apiary.
edit - forgot to mention the roll of magic foil sticky tape :)

don't have a 'toolbox', never felt the urge to waste my money on a frame rest, frame lifter or 'inspection cloth' hive tools kept in a bucket of soda at each apiary (emergency spare kept under the mat in the truck) COT in a tin in beesuit pocket, tewwezers in another pocket, at the beginning of the season I have two marking pens (current year and previous) once all last year's are marked this pen gets replaced by the pink one for 'problem' queens if I need to mark frames to find QC's I use the marking pen, piece of chalk in pocket for end of season super marking. Everything else sits in the truck.

All of the above plus a roll of aluminium tape - vital and used for lots of things including repairing holes in jeans that the bees find ! Sticks to anything, stays there almost permanently and still comes off without leaving a residue.

I have a Cadrim gas torch for smoker lighting and a cannister of butane to re-charge it (I've just bought 12 cans from Amazon inc free postage for £12.90.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074CN4PNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also keep my 3 in 1 Varroa tester and a sealed jar of icing sugar for sugar rolls

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/varroa-control/varroa-tester-3in1/
Bottle of Olbas oil

However, I have to admit that as my hives are in the garden the box with most of the above is usually left around the corner on the patio table and my 'pocket' items are:

1. 2 Hive tools (One J-type one conventional).
2. COT
3. Bright pink queen marker
4. Smoker & Cadrim torch
5. Scraper
6. Box for brace comb
7. Sharp serrated knife
8. Bucket of washing soda solution

I would need to re-think my bee box if I had an apiary elsewhere.

I've never had a frame rest or frame lifter although I do have a cloth ~ it only comes in to play if the weather is a bit iffy and I need to cover over the top of the frames and it sits in the box most of the time.

I don't think I'm very organised - inevitably I find that the one thing I need is back in the box but as it's only a few dozen steps away I tend to accept my lack of organisation - but, of course, I'm not a proper beekeeper.

Bucket with lid and soda
At least 3 J tools
Tweezers, wax moth larva mainly
Scissors just in case she looks like she wants to go (queen cells)
In my top pocket,
White marker pen ( I am coloured blind and keep notes anyway ) and use a brick system on the roof.
Roller with paper over one end, first thing when I find a queen is to isolate her in the roller on top of the frames I have inspected.
Craft knife the retractable blade type for cutting out queen cells for use else ware.
2 Water sprayer, one with water the other with a smelly in it used for uniting.
Smoker etc
Matches and lighter

Bucket with lid and soda
At least 3 J tools
Tweezers, wax moth larva mainly
Scissors just in case she looks like she wants to go (queen cells)
In my top pocket,
White marker pen ( I am coloured blind and keep notes anyway ) and use a brick system on the roof.
Roller with paper over one end, first thing when I find a queen is to isolate her in the roller on top of the frames I have inspected.
Craft knife the retractable blade type for cutting out queen cells for use else ware.
2 Water sprayer, one with water the other with a smelly in it used for uniting.
Smoker etc
Matches and lighter
I wish I were so organised and diligent 😂

I had this made by a local trade man. I do have tool bag full of odds and sods but this is what I use mostly. Queen roller cage fits on too:))

Attachments

• 92E8FF7D-CDCA-489D-A86A-6293DE7DD58E.jpeg
    92E8FF7D-CDCA-489D-A86A-6293DE7DD58E.jpeg
    886.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 36C31C16-6CF2-4C1C-B6A7-12FD46BAEA5C.jpeg
    36C31C16-6CF2-4C1C-B6A7-12FD46BAEA5C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 099B355D-3FA6-4D4D-A1A7-E29EEB778B29.jpeg
    099B355D-3FA6-4D4D-A1A7-E29EEB778B29.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Have gun will travel !
mine is a slight improvement on yours !
it’s called Mrs Meldrew . 😉

Two hive tools
(J -small and large)
4 x lighters,
Avon Skin So Soft for hands
3 pairs vinyl gloves - spares unused.
Bungee cord
Queen marking box with COT, pens , Queen catcher.
Spare egg boxes for smoker.
Beekeeper's Field Guide
Rubber bands, pins
Sprayer
Blowlamp
Smoker
Gaffer tape.
Two Q cages
Wire mesh
Pipe cleaners.
Tape measure
Hacksaw blade plus handle
Soft wire
Clear perspex.
Superglue
Pliars, screwdrivers,stanley knife

And used matchsticks for propping open crown boards.

Two hive tools
(J -small and large)
4 x lighters,
Avon Skin So Soft for hands
3 pairs vinyl gloves - spares unused.
Bungee cord
Queen marking box with COT, pens , Queen catcher.
Spare egg boxes for smoker.
Beekeeper's Field Guide
Rubber bands, pins
Sprayer
Blowlamp
Smoker
Gaffer tape.
Two Q cages
Wire mesh
Pipe cleaners.
Tape measure
Hacksaw blade plus handle
Soft wire
Clear perspex.
Superglue
Pliars, screwdrivers,stanley knife

And used matchsticks for propping open crown boards.
And I thought I‘m organised… 👏

As well as above, always carry a pair of tweezers during inspections. Good to pull out any suspect larvae or pupae to look at more closely.
I've taken to having tweezers as well, really useful for removing dodgy looking larvae.

Latest posts

Back