So what do you keep in your bee keeping tool box when you open hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like you, I'm bare handed ( and callused) and next season am going to try your Avon tip as my bees appear to have become stickier and stickier over time and could now propolise for GB. making hand cleaning a bit interesting.
Def works as mosquito repellant

Like you, I'm bare handed ( and callused) and next season am going to try your Avon tip as my bees appear to have become stickier and stickier over time and could now propolise for GB. making hand cleaning a bit interesting.
Hand gel with alcohol works a treat on propolis.

Attached to the bottom of my smoker with soft wire - is a piece of scrap ply .. Means you don't have to have a separate stand but can put smoker down on poly roofs without burning a hole.
Good idea! Have circles in 2 polyhive roofs after putting my smoker down in the wrong place. Fills with water after rain and I’ve seen bees drinking from it, so maybe I won’t repair

I don’t like marking white, takes a lot of priming to get it out properly. I don’t bother with the exact year colours. All my Q’s are marked using a Toma neon green and I have all the Q details captured on my iPad. Marked with neon green, you can spot the Q from a mile away.
Are you using oil base paint?

I bought a lumi green and had it about two years its very watery. I take it its knackered and time for a new one

Would anyone like to buy a frame rest lol. I thought I was a proper beekeeper when I got it at one of the conferences. Never really used it.

Would anyone like to buy a frame rest lol. I thought I was a proper beekeeper when I got it at one of the conferences. Never really used it.
We've all got some things that we never use and wish we have never bought ... beekeeping suppliers are full of appealing gadgets and potions that tempt the gullible (and the less gullible) only to end up in the back of the bee shed because we are too embarrassed to sell them !

I should have said, I also keep a 2 spare stands by my hives for stacking supers or other boxes on when needed. just saves the back.
Then I also have a little stand that I keep my smoker on. It was originally a stand for a nuc,, but has become my smoker stand. I have grown to like my smoker stand so much if I had mutiple apiarys I would have one at each.

I have a couple of luggage stands - very light to move from hive to hive

Attachments

• FEB669F1-A6C4-40BA-BA6A-E45709E2B48F.jpeg
    FEB669F1-A6C4-40BA-BA6A-E45709E2B48F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • A290070D-EF64-433B-96C8-EAD6E39DE194.jpeg
    A290070D-EF64-433B-96C8-EAD6E39DE194.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Back