1 luxury allowed in your bee box, what?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Was tidying today and realised how much had crept into my bee tool box - most of it was removed again, but some stayed. Given there have been quite a few newbees joining the forum (welcome all) and getting ready for their first season, what 1 (thats ONE) luxury item would you have in your bee box? You can give some close seconds if it helps!

I'm assuming a std box contains (you may disagree, but hey, it's my thread!):
  1. Hive tool
  2. Inspection cloths
  3. knife
  4. twine
  5. Crown of Th0rnes
  6. Smoker fuel
  7. Spray bottle of syrup
  8. Drawing pins
  9. Marking pens / paint
  10. match box
  11. matches / lighter
  12. spare plastic inspection gloves

After careful consideration my vote has gone to my over priced but wonderful jet-torch zippo lighter. Works anywhere, any amount of wind, rain or snow and you can use it safely whilst gloved if you need to re-fuel / re-light quickly. The time it has saved in windy conditions makes it worth it.

The things that lost out were:
Gaffa tape
magnifying glass

My Turbo flame twin jet lighter for above reasons .
only criticism is the obscure blue flame in bright conditions !

John W.

Second-hand stethoscope off Fleabay - perfect for reassuring worried beginners (in their first few Winters) that their bees are still alive in their hives.

FG

"Crown of Th0rnes" ?

Rosti, you'll be in the OED before you know it!

I had to google to find out what this was - otherwise known as a " queen marking cage"?

Last edited:
Very dangerous bit of kit, severe risk of cutting your precious queen into bits.

Use fingers, much safer.

PH

I've started using one of those 25p 'bag for life' carriers from the supermarket instead of the trusty bee box ... a little bigger and can easily accommodate a few extra 'essentials' tucked away in 2 litre ice cream tubs.

My general list is very similar, but I'd swap the inspection cloths for the magnifying glass. It's an age thing and I'm no longer in denial ...

This is an essential ... Jet lighter - specifically one of the long ones to reach deep into a sheltered corner of the smoker. And this is tied on to the handle of the bag with 4' of twine to avoid scrabbling in long grass. Prices on a well-known auction site are very reasonable for these things.

And the luxuries ... spare hive tool (been there, done that and have the bent knife to prove it) and a small Kelly Kettle to make a brew.

--
fatshark

I've started using one of those 25p 'bag for life' carriers from the supermarket instead of the trusty bee box ... a little bigger and can easily accommodate a few extra 'essentials' tucked away in 2 litre ice cream tubs.

My general list is very similar, but I'd swap the inspection cloths for the magnifying glass. It's an age thing and I'm no longer in denial ...

This is an essential ... Jet lighter - specifically one of the long ones to reach deep into a sheltered corner of the smoker. And this is tied on to the handle of the bag with 4' of twine to avoid scrabbling in long grass. Prices on a well-known auction site are very reasonable for these things.

And the luxuries ... spare hive tool (been there, done that and have the bent knife to prove it) and a small Kelly Kettle to make a brew.

--
fatshark

ahh yes a kelly kettle, always have one in the car, still surprises me how fast they brew up, was you a boy scout then

and yep a magnify glass Numer One Essential but what i really need at my age is a note saying DON'T WEAR YOUR PHOTOCHROMIC GLASSES as i can even see larva let alone eggs if they darken

A brick always comes in handy... Not really a luxury tho.

Frame-rest a nice extra... Always useful in inspections.

Ben P

If I said "a supercedure Queen" would that be considered facetious :biggrinjester:

I smoke so always have a lighter. I have the other things but one thing I would like to make sure I have which I haven't seen mentioned is my powerful maglight-alike torch. It's not a maglight but looks like one and shines like the surface of the sun. It lights up hillsides. Anyhow I thought it would really be useful for looking in withought rummaging.

tweezers. handy for getting larvae out of cells if you need a closer look at them.

I am going to regret this. I just know I am.

Why would you want a closer look at larvae?

Research possibly?

PH

Latest posts

Back