1 luxury allowed in your bee box, what?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t know if you would count this as a luxury but thought it might be worth a mention especially after reading Roy's sobering experience post. I’m talking about having something like an Epipen handy.

It’s ideal for your bee box and although expensive (although I've managed to scrounge a free set) not a bad idea especially for those of you who work your bees alone and in some cases in quite remote places. Piriton is another option, your bee box you decide but definitely worth a thought!

Turbo Flame Lighter,

I use a square bucket, absolutely wonderful for catching swarms on fences and walls.

An EpiPen or two - you never know when it might save your life!

Being a newbee what, please, is an inspection cloth?
Sensible replies only please!
Thanks,
Waxing

luxury allowed in bee box

sweatband no more watery eyes or fogged up glasses

Being a newbee what, please, is an inspection cloth?
Sensible replies only please!
Thanks,
Waxing

Best to wish for a luxury that you understand. Like the genie with the lamp says, you have used up your luxury wish.

A cloth essentially to keep the top of the frames covered during inspections and so minimise the number of bees flying from the top of the box and also minimise the loss of warmth from the hive. Both good reasons for using one, but perhaps deprecated these days as a possible vector for disease between colonies.

It could take several forms, one or more cloths with rods or laths to weigh the ends down so that they don't blow away. Some advocate a couple of tea towels, but don't let the missus catch you.

Sensible enough?

A baseball cap, the **** keeps the fencing Vail off of the face on a windy day.

John :hat:

A baseball cap, the **** keeps the fencing Vail off of the face on a windy day.

John :hat:

I am guessing thats a peeeeek not a supplier of the same name :)

or for those of us of the sticky-out-ear fraternity (I am honoury president) a combination of this plus Betterbee's suggestion.

I have been stung on the ears more than anywhere else since I switched to a fencing veil from a trad round veil. The sweat band to hold the ears in is a necessity sadly.

Thank you Hombre re the inspection cloth. A good idea.
Best, Waxing.

Best to wish for a luxury that you understand. Like the genie with the lamp says, you have used up your luxury wish.

A cloth essentially to keep the top of the frames covered during inspections and so minimise the number of bees flying from the top of the box and also minimise the loss of warmth from the hive. Both good reasons for using one, but perhaps deprecated these days as a possible vector for disease between colonies.

It could take several forms, one or more cloths with rods or laths to weigh the ends down so that they don't blow away. Some advocate a couple of tea towels, but don't let the missus catch you.

Sensible enough?
Hi, how about lying the first frame out of the brood box on top of the frames,no risk of spreading disease.Ainsie;)

Good idea as long as you have few colonies, you don't want to be swapping it around and it becoming vector for disease.

So used intelligently for one or two colonies is good. a plastic cover sheet in each colony can be used to similar effect. think of it as a personal flannel, would you really want to share it very far, or have others use their own.

Latest posts

Back