Zero mite drop - good or bad?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuttlefish

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've had zero mite drop at the last two inspections (a week apart) on both hives - should I be happy or worried?

History:
- varroa mites were present last year;
- treated with Bayvarol (resistance was not evident in surrounding regions last year) last September;
- had much reduced (1/week) mite drop after treatment;
- sacrificed late drone comb last year as part of IPM strategy;
- no OA treatment applied over winter;
- hives on OMF.

I'd be delighted to have no varroa obviously, but it's still a bit early to be opening up the hives and in any case they have been foraging a lot lately (and bringing in pollen, which may indicate brood present).

So my question to the more experienced beeks is - should I be worried (e.g. could any brood be riddled with varroa and me have no way to know about it for a couple of weeks until the early brood hatches?), or should I just go off and do a little happy dance for myself?

Thanks.

No one knows better than you.

Digg drone brood with fork in Summer and look what is there. I you do not see some mites, things are OK, but if you see, you need that late summer treatment.

If you see tens mites in drone brood, you need extra cleaning in the middle of Summer. Swarming time is a good chance to clean hive.

PS: Make a video and send a mite dance to youtube.

Last edited:
Until you open up the hives, you won't know how clear (or obstructed) your floors are. Obviously, if most of the floor is covered with dead bees, then most of the dead varroa aren't going to be able to drop through to your inspection board.

You've not got any evidence of a varroa population at danger level, but that shouldn't stop you looking for warning signs. Ever! :)

i placed a brand new mesh floor on a hive last tuesday and slipped in the varroa board,checked today and there was two mites.
Darren

If you used Bayvarol and the mites are not resistant then it should have been very effective and no winter OA treatment would have been necessary - as in the UK in the places before resistance hit.

However, the synthetic pyrethroids, of which Bayvarol is one, were never 100% effective so you should assume mites are still present and no doubt they are hanging on to the bees for grim death - or an empty brood cell to jump into, which is of course where some of them might be at this very moment.

I fear your mites will become resistant after a time so if you are happy to keep using Bayvarol you need to monitor this.

Until you open up the hives, you won't know how clear (or obstructed) your floors are. Obviously, if most of the floor is covered with dead bees, then most of the dead varroa aren't going to be able to drop through to your inspection board.

Fortunately they're up on a 2' stand so I can have a peek underneath - the floor's clear.

Thanks all - I'll assume there're a couple of mites clinging desperately to the ladies, but nothing to worry about for now. Dancefloor here I come...

:music-smiley-026: :willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back