Your thought

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always tape the entrance as well as using foam, and always use 2 straps.

I always use two straps and duct tape over the entrance as well as foam/wooden block. Only way to be sure!

Would anyone agree with this?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1TjHwtaP2A&list=SP890F98B1D614DA3B&index=19[/ame]

Bit risky for the sake of a foam entrace plug that takes a couple of seconds to fit. Why take the chance? Besides moving colonies in the dark creates increased trip and fall risks.

I've move quite a few without blocking the entrence before and without dropping them. If there hanging out the front you can't put foam in.

This accident aside how’s it going making beekeeping into a living, is it working out for you.

Not really last years weather didn't help. I have about 80 hives at the mo but would need 200+ to even start to make a living ore like 400. I have been looking into selling bee keeping kit as I have some good contacts and buying bulk.

I'll see what this year brings and decided if I should keep going or go back to a hobby.
I quite enjoy it and if I could make a living I would give it ago.

Thanks for asking

Yes I bet last year was rough for you and this one?? In this world and when self employed you have to be flexible and diversification is a good thing, don’t put all your eggs in one basket ect ect. So the kit may be a good thing to do, you may do this already but bees/nuc,s and one thing I have noticed lately is packages of bees are getting more mention.

I often mention to people that if you started beekeeping just for the honey then you will be disappointed 50% of the time.

Good luck with this year

Thanks Tom. Worst thing is my wifes just been made redundant, she can help with the bees but it was nice to have more income coming in.

At the end of the day its nice working outside with the bees even if it only lasts a few years.

Latest posts

Back