Your thought

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
loads
Last night I messed up moving hives. I'd like your thoughts please on what you would have done. I don't need telling I messed up I know that, but it might helps others with a back up plan.
The big mistake was dropping a hive on another one in the back of my Land rover, while trying to unload them. The strap was not tight enough on the one i dropped and the foam on the door came out on the other one. Bees went everywhere and loads went for me.
This is what I done, but what did I miss, etc ?
I ran away to a hedge where I pushed through, clearing a lot of the bees from me and put my suit hood up. Then got a smoker lite. I also called my wife so she could stand at a safe distance in case it went even more wrong( with epipen ) I then smoked the bees and climbed into the van. I put the closest hive together and lifted it out. I then removed the other. I moved the van forward and left it with the doors open. Then went to nurse the stings (hundreds)
If you had a situation like this what would you do?

made sure I had a few shots of nice Vodka when I got home :) ....for medicinal purposes of course ;)

I always tape the entrance as well as using foam, and always use 2 straps. Don't worry most of us have had bees loose in the car/van at some time or other. The biggest thing you will remember what not to do the next time you move them. Hope you are not feeling too bad with the stings.

I think when moving a full colony I would have had the veil up to start with just incase of trips and falls.
Ensure staps are tight, use ratchet strap.

Hope you and the bees are ok now

Colin

Two straps at 90deg to each other, don't use the straps to pick the hive up as tempting as it might look!

I use steel triangles with 2 screws at the bottom and one at the top, to screw the hive parts together. One each side into the rails, at each box interface, is about as secure as it gets. OMF is pinned to within an inch of its life with drawing pins and the foam entrance filler is wrapped with duct tape, all the way round the hive. On top, there's a screen board screwed on all 4 sides, and I drive with veil loosely on, just in case one of them is Houdini.

Sounds like you made the best of it after the whoops. Hope the stings heal quickly and don't put you off.

Hello Biggles, just wondered if the epipen is for other allergies or if you keep one for beekeeping emergencies? Just wondering if it is something to have in the medical cabinet?

Hello Biggles, just wondered if the epipen is for other allergies or if you keep one for beekeeping emergencies? Just wondering if it is something to have in the medical cabinet?

Do a search for epipens on here

If you had a situation like this what would you do?

You are experienced guy.

I have gove up that king of night works long time ago. What ever can happen in the dark, and I am in trouple.

I move bees in the morning 9-11 aclok, when it is warm. When I arrive to destination I can open entrances.

If part of bees are flying, I may leave a box which collect foraging bees.

It is not safe in the dark. And I want to sleept enough and i am not going to start 4:00

I keep my epi pen for the bees but uses it last week, driving down the motorway, something big explodes on my arm, within half hour all of my body had swollen, eyes closed up and covered in a rash. Used the pen to no avail, ended up going to the doctors, 2 steroid injections and a course of tablets and I was fine in a couple of days.

Two straps at 90deg to each other, don't use the straps to pick the hive up as tempting as it might look!

:iagree:
Moved a hive this morning - two parallel straps one way (as I noticed when I shut them in last night there was a slight warp in the crown board) and one strap at 90 degrees

Definitely 2 x 90 degree straps and veil up when loading and unloading for me. I also have the veil behind my head when driving so I can pull it on quickly if they somehow get out. Moving hives in a hatchback family car like mine is not recommended!

As other posts, duck tape is better than plasters, always wear my suit with the veil undone when transporting bees,

Sounds to me like you kept it together, and salvaged a bad situation - well done!

You have had all the good tips here already, which most people won't understand till they have managed to mess up on a grand scale!

Latest posts

Back