Your thought

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Biggles, just wondered if the epipen is for other allergies or if you keep one for beekeeping emergencies? Just wondering if it is something to have in the medical cabinet?

I keep an epipen in the van at all times for bee stings. Not for me necessarily but anyone around.

I have moved loads of hives in the dark this year, torches don't help if the bees are out. Maybe I should get up earlier.

Stings ok, only my throat still hurts but that will be fine tomorrow. I think the more I get stung the less I react. Luckily I get stung often!

It's not just stings that can injure you moving bee boxes. A couple of years ago I was moving some in the garden and there was an audible ripping sound from my back. I had torn the ligiments and the pain was the worst I've ever experienced. I couldn't move and was taken to hospital by ambulance on gas and air. The humiliation was nearly as bad as the pain....

Straps at 90 degrees and wrap the hive in a netcurtain whilst it's in the car.
It stops any escapebees from bothering during the journey.
Still keep my suit on with veil down whilst driiving and make sure i'm suited up before moving at the other end.

With an OMF, foam in the entrance is plain wrong (it must date, like matchsticks, from solid floor days).
A proper entrance block is the thing.
And tape on the corners of the box-joins.
So the entrance block can be held in by those bits of tape that are ensuring that the BB doesn't twist off the floor.
A senior local beek advises two straps, parallel but a foot apart, to prevent boxes twisting apart.
I'd rather tape the joins and use two straps at right angles...

Ratchet straps are important for moving, but not for holding the hive together on the stand - plain 'hive straps' are fine for that.
Lidl sell packs of (4?) ratchet straps for about a tenner. Worthwhile.

IMHO, the important thing is to plan in advance how this sort of accident can be avoided, and then execute the plan - so the bad sh!t never happens.

I keep an epipen in the van at all times for bee stings. Not for me necessarily but anyone around.

Glad to learn that your professional insurance covers the handing out of prescription medicines!

Expiry dates are such a nuisance too, but who bothers about those?

With an under floor entrance a block of foam in the 'lobby' is the most secure method.
Using foam to block an entrance has nothing to do nowadays with ventilation - it's the most practical method of closing an entrance polyhives (well the swienty ones anyway) don't have entrance blocks

Travel screen, one spanset strap, block entrance with foam, load and move.

Glad to learn that your professional insurance covers the handing out of prescription medicines!

Expiry dates are such a nuisance too, but who bothers about those?

Made me laugh this did. Save a life or worry about insurance!
Expiry dates are for a reason.

Made me laugh this did. Save a life or worry about insurance!

Thing is that you can kill someone with an EpiPen.
Even one not stored in a van.

Don't just take my word on it. (I'm sure you wouldn't anyway.)
But do ask your Doctor what (s)he thinks of the idea of you using it on anyone else.
Please.

Travel screen, one spanset strap, block entrance with foam, load and move.

:iagree:

Overlever straps with good webbing are so much better than trying to get a good twang witha ratchet strap.

Its an european habit to critisise the yanks and how they do things over there, but hell, they move things quick when they get going !

That was faster than me last night. But we'll done them putting the back together.

My advice for moving bees is to have decent woodwork and to use an overlever (spanset type) strap very tightly done up so that it gives a high pitched ping when plucked.

Its an european habit to critisise the yanks and how they do things over there, but hell, they move things quick when they get going !

Horrendous though the crash looked - All the bees seemed to be finding their way back into a hive.... Amazing - wonder how many got back into the 'right' hive though - and how many bits of hive went back into the 'right' box. Mind you - commercial beeks in the US - probably don't care anyway !!

Latest posts

Back