Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I bet you can't do both at the same timenot worthy:icon_204-2:
As most of my cricketing was at the bottom end of the batting order I spent most of my time knitting in the pavilion so I probably could ....o_O

And there were some who probably wished I spent the rest of it there as well ....

Last edited:

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What's all this changing a wicket to an "OUT" ?
Damn ... more political correctness .... the up-coming, non-cricketing, sub 20 year old, uneducated, half of the population think wicket is something you say when you like something so they had to pander to the masses rather than educate them ...

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
As most of my cricketing was at the bottom end of the batting order I spent most of my time knitting in the pavilion so I probably could ....o_O

And there were some who probably wished I spent the rest of it there as well ....
That almost sounds a bit weird, I'm visually thinking of a teen in the pavilion knitting and cricket going down!
It sounds like a story out of the dairy of a whimpy kid.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
That memory sounds about write Philip although my olds use to like the tennis or boxing hated eastenders but loved emmerdale.
I can sort of knit but I'm better at throwing a cricket ball than hitting it.
That almost sounds a bit weird, I'm visually thinking of a teen in the pavilion knitting and cricket going down!
It sounds like a story out of the dairy of a whimpy kid.
My sporting prowess was limited largely to rugby (second row - which tells you something about my build) in the winter and tennis in the summer - I was usually a make weight at cricket - I was always in touch with my feminine side ... be careful where you are going with this, the thought police are watching....

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
My sporting prowess was limited largely to rugby (second row - which tells you something about my build) in the winter and tennis in the summer - I was usually a make weight at cricket - I was always in touch with my feminine side ... be careful where you are going with this, the thought police are watching....
Aye better get back on topic rugby2.

:laughing-smiley-004.
I was wondering do you think that the different sub species vary in the way that they pick up venom sent easier on gloves and other types of clothing?.
Your a mod watch out

Last edited:

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think some bees are more sensitive to sting pheremones but I think it's because some bees are designated guard bees and it's those that principally will attack if there has been something to provoke a sting.

However, that does not explain why, when you come across a really agressive colony, the whole lot seem to turn out to try and sting you so it's probably not that simple.

Not sure that there has been much research done into when and why some bees sting at the least provocation and others are so relaxed ...

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
I think some bees are more sensitive to sting pheremones but I think it's because some bees are designated guard bees and it's those that principally will attack if there has been something to provoke a sting.

However, that does not explain why, when you come across a really agressive colony, the whole lot seem to turn out to try and sting you so it's probably not that simple.

Not sure that there has been much research done into when and why some bees sting at the least provocation and others are so relaxed ...
Ive heard it more than once know that Amm types are more sensitive than others interesting conversation but there are lots more factors to take into consideration as you say about guard bees in a bigger colony there are so many more, and maybe at Certain times when there are more this could accentuate a colonys aggressive behaviour.

I'll leave that with you, good night.

Last edited:

Little_bees 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Aaannd, back on topic: marigolds and nitriles work for me.
+1
Also no problems here with black nitriles. I use either blue or black, depending on what I have, with no issues either way.

Levitt53 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I volunteer delivering meals on wheels and get through so many pairs of single use gloves. It dawned on my that I can use these for beekeeping so now have an endless supply. They don't last long as others have said and I usually would not use them but I can change them through inspections if they get very sticky (I have one colony that produces so much propolis!). Usually I use marigolds which can be cleaned easily and last probably for half the season.

Latest posts