Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Marigolds or the Aldi equivalent with a pair of nitriles over the top is what I use .. bees can't sting through these layers and yet you retain the sensitivity - the nitriles can be changed if they split (some do - some don't) and with a drop or two of Olbas Oil rubbed in ... best glove solution there is. A bucket of washing soda in warm water on hand for a quick glove and hive tool clean. Near perfection as far as I'm concerned - and i've tried everythng from the welders gloves to the nitriles on their own ... either too clumsy or the little beggars sting gets through. I tried the black fabric backed builders gloves from Toolstation - I use them for gardening and other jobs a lot .. bees did not like them at all, stings through the fabric back.

About the only thing I haven't tried is the really expensive goatskin ones which are apparently the devil to keep clean and not 100% sting proof anyway ....
Did you ever try leather cowhide beekeeping gloves with cotton cricket glove inners underneath them?

Swn58 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
Never again - 30 minutes later both hands were about half as big again
One sting through my Nitrile glove the other day. I seem to have built up a healthy resistance over the years, as the swelling generally goes down after an itchy day! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

Last edited:

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Did you ever try leather cowhide beekeeping gloves with cotton cricket glove inners underneath them?
No ... but that could work - although I've got really used to my Marigold/Nitrile combination and frankly the nitriles are disposable and probably better for apiary hygiene than the leather ones - and putting nitriles on top of the leather would be a bit OTT ...

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
Wicket keepers gloves? Let's get serious!!!

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
No ... but that could work - although I've got really used to my Marigold/Nitrile combination and frankly the nitriles are disposable and probably better for apiary hygiene than the leather ones - and putting nitriles on top of the leather would be a bit OTT ...
No, I understand. I'm sure they work well. I tried rubber gloves and nitriles and ended up with too much liquid in the gloves. Probably fine if you've just got a few hives or quick work to do. The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏
Oh dear ... that's a highly contentious remark in response to a post from a yorkshireman ! But ... I suppose you can live in hope ....

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Oh dear ... that's a highly contentious remark in response to a post from a yorkshireman ! But ... I suppose you can live in hope ....
I did see Boycott bat here in Tassie in the 70's ....Beefy was in the team then. Such a fast scorer was Boycott. Always looking for runs.

BeeJam 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
No, I understand. I'm sure they work well. I tried rubber gloves and nitriles and ended up with too much liquid in the gloves. Probably fine if you've just got a few hives or quick work to do. The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏
Why don't the Aussies wear them then? Smith and Labushchange apart?

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I already can knit - as well as play cricket
Yehhh that .. Me too - I learned circket from my grandfather and knitting from my grandmother, she could watch the cricket without looking at the needles and wool for hours... I never reached that level of muscle memory ... I can still knit one purl one but my late mother (as you know) could knit for England !

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yehhh that .. Me too - I learned circket from my grandfather and knitting from my grandmother, she could watch the cricket without looking at the needles and wool for hours... I never reached that level of muscle memory ... I can still knit one purl one but my late mother (as you know) could knit for England !
What's all this changing a wicket to an "OUT" ?

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
That memory sounds about write Philip although my olds use to like the tennis or boxing hated eastenders but loved emmerdale.
I can sort of knit but I'm better at throwing a cricket ball than hitting it.

Latest posts