Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marigolds or the Aldi equivalent with a pair of nitriles over the top is what I use .. bees can't sting through these layers and yet you retain the sensitivity - the nitriles can be changed if they split (some do - some don't) and with a drop or two of Olbas Oil rubbed in ... best glove solution there is. A bucket of washing soda in warm water on hand for a quick glove and hive tool clean. Near perfection as far as I'm concerned - and i've tried everythng from the welders gloves to the nitriles on their own ... either too clumsy or the little beggars sting gets through. I tried the black fabric backed builders gloves from Toolstation - I use them for gardening and other jobs a lot .. bees did not like them at all, stings through the fabric back.

About the only thing I haven't tried is the really expensive goatskin ones which are apparently the devil to keep clean and not 100% sting proof anyway ....
Did you ever try leather cowhide beekeeping gloves with cotton cricket glove inners underneath them?

Never again - 30 minutes later both hands were about half as big again
One sting through my Nitrile glove the other day. I seem to have built up a healthy resistance over the years, as the swelling generally goes down after an itchy day! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Ouch.jpg
    Ouch.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Did you ever try leather cowhide beekeeping gloves with cotton cricket glove inners underneath them?
No ... but that could work - although I've got really used to my Marigold/Nitrile combination and frankly the nitriles are disposable and probably better for apiary hygiene than the leather ones - and putting nitriles on top of the leather would be a bit OTT ...

No ... but that could work - although I've got really used to my Marigold/Nitrile combination and frankly the nitriles are disposable and probably better for apiary hygiene than the leather ones - and putting nitriles on top of the leather would be a bit OTT ...
No, I understand. I'm sure they work well. I tried rubber gloves and nitriles and ended up with too much liquid in the gloves. Probably fine if you've just got a few hives or quick work to do. The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏

The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏
Oh dear ... that's a highly contentious remark in response to a post from a yorkshireman ! But ... I suppose you can live in hope ....

Oh dear ... that's a highly contentious remark in response to a post from a yorkshireman ! But ... I suppose you can live in hope ....
I did see Boycott bat here in Tassie in the 70's ....Beefy was in the team then. Such a fast scorer was Boycott. Always looking for runs.

No, I understand. I'm sure they work well. I tried rubber gloves and nitriles and ended up with too much liquid in the gloves. Probably fine if you've just got a few hives or quick work to do. The Aussie batting glove inners are particularly comfortable, being designed for a long time at the crease of course, in international test matches 🏏
Why don't the Aussies wear them then? Smith and Labushchange apart?

I already can knit - as well as play cricket
Yehhh that .. Me too - I learned circket from my grandfather and knitting from my grandmother, she could watch the cricket without looking at the needles and wool for hours... I never reached that level of muscle memory ... I can still knit one purl one but my late mother (as you know) could knit for England !

Yehhh that .. Me too - I learned circket from my grandfather and knitting from my grandmother, she could watch the cricket without looking at the needles and wool for hours... I never reached that level of muscle memory ... I can still knit one purl one but my late mother (as you know) could knit for England !
What's all this changing a wicket to an "OUT" ?

That memory sounds about write Philip although my olds use to like the tennis or boxing hated eastenders but loved emmerdale.
I can sort of knit but I'm better at throwing a cricket ball than hitting it.

Latest posts

Back