Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet you can't do both at the same timenot worthy:icon_204-2:
As most of my cricketing was at the bottom end of the batting order I spent most of my time knitting in the pavilion so I probably could ....o_O

And there were some who probably wished I spent the rest of it there as well ....

Last edited:
What's all this changing a wicket to an "OUT" ?
Damn ... more political correctness .... the up-coming, non-cricketing, sub 20 year old, uneducated, half of the population think wicket is something you say when you like something so they had to pander to the masses rather than educate them ...

As most of my cricketing was at the bottom end of the batting order I spent most of my time knitting in the pavilion so I probably could ....o_O

And there were some who probably wished I spent the rest of it there as well ....
That almost sounds a bit weird, I'm visually thinking of a teen in the pavilion knitting and cricket going down!
It sounds like a story out of the dairy of a whimpy kid.

That memory sounds about write Philip although my olds use to like the tennis or boxing hated eastenders but loved emmerdale.
I can sort of knit but I'm better at throwing a cricket ball than hitting it.
That almost sounds a bit weird, I'm visually thinking of a teen in the pavilion knitting and cricket going down!
It sounds like a story out of the dairy of a whimpy kid.
My sporting prowess was limited largely to rugby (second row - which tells you something about my build) in the winter and tennis in the summer - I was usually a make weight at cricket - I was always in touch with my feminine side ... be careful where you are going with this, the thought police are watching....

My sporting prowess was limited largely to rugby (second row - which tells you something about my build) in the winter and tennis in the summer - I was usually a make weight at cricket - I was always in touch with my feminine side ... be careful where you are going with this, the thought police are watching....

Aye better get back on topic rugby2.

:laughing-smiley-004.
I was wondering do you think that the different sub species vary in the way that they pick up venom sent easier on gloves and other types of clothing?.
Your a mod watch out

Last edited:
I think some bees are more sensitive to sting pheremones but I think it's because some bees are designated guard bees and it's those that principally will attack if there has been something to provoke a sting.

However, that does not explain why, when you come across a really agressive colony, the whole lot seem to turn out to try and sting you so it's probably not that simple.

Not sure that there has been much research done into when and why some bees sting at the least provocation and others are so relaxed ...

I think some bees are more sensitive to sting pheremones but I think it's because some bees are designated guard bees and it's those that principally will attack if there has been something to provoke a sting.

However, that does not explain why, when you come across a really agressive colony, the whole lot seem to turn out to try and sting you so it's probably not that simple.

Not sure that there has been much research done into when and why some bees sting at the least provocation and others are so relaxed ...
Ive heard it more than once know that Amm types are more sensitive than others interesting conversation but there are lots more factors to take into consideration as you say about guard bees in a bigger colony there are so many more, and maybe at Certain times when there are more this could accentuate a colonys aggressive behaviour.

I'll leave that with you, good night.

Last edited:
I volunteer delivering meals on wheels and get through so many pairs of single use gloves. It dawned on my that I can use these for beekeeping so now have an endless supply. They don't last long as others have said and I usually would not use them but I can change them through inspections if they get very sticky (I have one colony that produces so much propolis!). Usually I use marigolds which can be cleaned easily and last probably for half the season.

Has any one tried these gloves as I done my 1st inspection wearing black gloves and got 5 stings on left hand (last year wore yellow kitchen gloves but found them to sweaty) and the gloves pictured has a floke lining.

Attachments

• Bee gloves.jpg
    Bee gloves.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 15
Red is black to a bee’s eye.
I use Ansell AlphaTec 37-520. They are flocked blue nitrile. Two pairs last all season. Wash a dream.

I've been surprised by the Old Castle Farm Sentinel gloves. When they arrived I thought they'd be too bulky, but they're actually very sensitive while giving very good protection.
I always used them there great

When I started last year I used nitriles under marigolds, but quickly ditched the nitriles. I'm still using the same pair of sweaty marigolds I used last year. I've only had one little half-sting through them. I hadn't considered the possibility that venom pheromone might be durable enough to last from one inspection to the next. Suppose I'd better give them a wash!

I use Marigolds (sweaty!) with nitriles over the top. Chuck the nitriles after each inspection and I don't have to wash the Marigolds. Also a small increase in sting protection: the barb usually doesn't stick.

I use Marigolds (sweaty!) with nitriles over the top. Chuck the nitriles after each inspection and I don't have to wash the Marigolds. Also a small increase in sting protection: the barb usually doesn't stick.
The price of nitriles since Covid has rocketed so I wash mine carefully!

I use marigolds with talc powder to reduce sweating. I wash them in soda crystals between hives. Additional pair of nitrile on top for feisty hives.
I haven't plucked the courage like you see in some videos to inspect without gloves or suit, nonsense!!

Cricket..... I remember working for Swansea council and doing extra shifts on weekends for the local cricket team. Needless to say that I have never spent so much time sleeping on the job, the only part which had my interest was the buffet between innings!!🤣

Cricket..... I remember working for Swansea council and doing extra shifts on weekends for the local cricket team. Needless to say that I have never spent so much time sleeping on the job, the only part which had my interest was the buffet between innings!!🤣
You must have known Brian Howells then - or even my grandmother's little brother John Hill

Latest posts

Back