Would two swarms enter the same box ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capella

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
In my Dad’s apiary a few days ago he rehoused a swarm from one of his hives.

This new hive was placed between his two main hives which were very strong as they were the result of 4 hives that were united to 2 a few weeks ago

Next day that new hive (in the middle)was bursting with bees and there were a few cupfuls of dead bees on the ground outside the hive.

He thinks that another swarm might have left the other hive and went in on top of the first swarm causing a fight and the dead bees. The hive has now settled down and is working very well.

Has anyone seen two swarms going into the same box within a day or so of each other ?

Has anyone seen two swarms going into the same box within a day or so of each other ?

Maybe, this year.

One small swarm housed itself in an empty box and was covering only 3 frames. Checked them 3 days later to find the box overflowing with bees. Not conclusive, I know, but I suspect a second much larger swarm either joined the first one or evicted it.

Quite possibly - nothing fails to amaze me with bees anymore.

I did an A/S with my only red marked queen. Few days later that box was empty and when inspecting another nucleus colony with an unmarked queen in I found to my surprise a queen with a red dot on her back. I can only assume she swarmed the 15 yards and preferred to do a house invasion rather than fit out the lovely spacious new home I had previously given her!

2 Swarms

2 weeks ago house a small swarm about 3/4 frames check the next afternoon the 6 frames hive was full, with bees under the hive, covering the entrance not enough room for all the bees.
Next day move them in a national the hive is full, added a super.:)

Latest posts

Back