workers wanted, notts area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a colony with a drone layer ... rather than tip them out can anyone lend me a set of 10 14 x 12 frames complete with bees and a queen - you can have them back next spring .... :devilish: :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
As long as you lend me the money to go with it😉would you like to meet some place or come up😂

Petrol used at nights the best bet IMO it works super fast. It’s a case of block the entrance and simply poor a pint in the top. There’s a roar for a few seconds and that’s it. Guess that’s why the BI’s use it. Spraying them is slow and rather a slow death, having done both its petrol for me.

Petrol used at nights the best bet IMO it works super fast. It’s a case of block the entrance and simply poor a pint in the top. There’s a roar for a few seconds and that’s it. Guess that’s why the BI’s use it. Spraying them is slow and rather a slow death, having done both its petrol for me.
It does take a while for them to drown😢
Had to do it once only

Petrol makes the hive easier to burn after as one certainly can't reuse any frames, strong soapy water works quite fast and a wash of clean water gets the frames usable again.

There’s a few issues going on with beginners atm. Courses are often run by people with spare time, often the very same that run associations. Now I’m not suggesting all are bad, but it doesn’t mean there the most appropriate. People are free to buy bees regardless of attending course or it’s quality. I think there’s been plenty of examples appearing here and other sites. Some nowadays also have a total disconnect with any sort of livestock/animals and little idea of the work or responsibility. Last year I met a flow hive owner through a friend. I asked what management they did. The response was they let the bees get on with it but they said they had 5 swarms last season.😳 Go figure!!! I also got a txt and picture last week of another swarm through the mutual friend asking if I knew any who would buy it😂 I really can’t see this situation improving rapidly. Now if I needed a couple of frames of bees there’s friends I’d ask, probably wouldn’t consider asking a bunch on the internet I’ve never met before. Maybe I’m just old fashioned!
Blimey no wonder there are so many swarms about. Too many bee-havers not enough bee-keepers!

Wondering if Covid has had a big effect on level of newbees knowledge and experience? It’s been difficult to get to club apiaries for practical experience due to the restrictions and there’s certainly been an explosion of people taking up beekeeping - local BKAs are reporting record numbers of new members with possibly not enough mentors to support them. Plus there are these awful Facebook sites full of the blind leading the partially sighted. No wonder there’s so much rubbish information being circulated among new beeks.
I’ve been lucky to have a supportive BKA and found a lovely mentor.

I know that is a slightly old thread but it is relevant, at least the last couple of pages. I am coming to the the end of my beekeeping time as I have lost interest and time, and my garden. The bees are feisty as hell sometimes and hard to inspect, plus one or two will come and get me up to 10 yards away to one side of the apiary so I can't sell them to a beginner and everyone else has all they need. I don't have the bravery nor the inclination to go looking for the queen so if I can't find someone who wants them and all the equipment that goes with them then they'll have to go another way. I don't have the social skills necessary to invoke any sort of mentorship either. Should it come to this, and I must stress I really don't want it to, how does one actually administer the coup de grace with petrol? Block the entrance at night then pour it through the hole in the crown board? Doesn't that just get the bees under the flow? I don't know how to do it if I need to. Please note, this is a last resort and I am going to try hard to find someone who wants the whole kit and caboodle so don't start with the vitriol just yet.

I know that is a slightly old thread but it is relevant, at least the last couple of pages. I am coming to the the end of my beekeeping time as I have lost interest and time, and my garden. The bees are feisty as hell sometimes and hard to inspect, plus one or two will come and get me up to 10 yards away to one side of the apiary so I can't sell them to a beginner and everyone else has all they need. I don't have the bravery nor the inclination to go looking for the queen so if I can't find someone who wants them and all the equipment that goes with them then they'll have to go another way. I don't have the social skills necessary to invoke any sort of mentorship either. Should it come to this, and I must stress I really don't want it to, how does one actually administer the coup de grace with petrol? Block the entrance at night then pour it through the hole in the crown board? Doesn't that just get the bees under the flow? I don't know how to do it if I need to. Please note, this is a last resort and I am going to try hard to find someone who wants the whole kit and caboodle so don't start with the vitriol just yet.

Shame you're not closer this way.

They are killed by the fumes not just the fluid. :(

I think you need to sit on them for the winter and when the colony are small in the spring requeen maybe move them for the winter, they maybe different even in the spring.
This season I had one colony which I spent loads of effort on horrible colony in the end I throu them out to the wind thought about all sorts of methods even knocking the whole colony out which I know @ericbeaumont has done.

I think you need to sit on them for the winter and when the colony are small in the spring requeen maybe move them for the winter, they maybe different even in the spring.
This season I had one colony which I spent loads of effort on horrible colony in the end I throu them out to the wind thought about all sorts of methods even knocking the whole colony out which I know @ericbeaumont has done.
I think the poor chap has had enough....don't you?

Why don't you start a new thread in Classifieds as well as continuing here

I think you need to sit on them for the winter and when the colony are small in the spring requeen maybe move them for the
And where is he going to get a queen first thing in the spring? I agree with Dani, in this case the decision is not being taken lightly. If the person is giving up bees altogether, it's up to us to try and help, one way or another.

Well, the problem is solved, I have found a buyer for the whole lot, feisty bees and all. So they live to fight another day, just not with me :), the new owner is much more experienced than I so they are in good hands (although I doubt the queens are going to be).

Back