Wording of letters when looking for new Apairy Sites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As per the title has anybody got and example letters they have sent when looking for new Apairy sites or advice on aproaching land owners ?

, im starting my hunt for next year and trying to figure out the best wording to use , mostly looking at farms in the local ish area

cheers

Andy

I just rock up have a chat with them and take a couple of jars with me to give them if they are interested. Most of those with livestock are usually worried about their livestock being stung and who will pay for the vet!

I tell them exactly how many hives I will put, space needed and offer to put perimeter fence around if they have livestock. My key points are;
Can I access by car?
Can I access without disturbing the owners
Is the apiary not going to cause them any bother (flight path).

Do you have a parish magazine or e-community information service (ours is called Jungle Drums)? That's how I found two sites when I moved here 23 years ago.

figure out the best wording to use
have a chat
This works best, but not always easy, as some land is owned corporately and farmer may not live at the farmhouse. I tracked the owner of a field near a lot of sweet chestnut; knocking on doors produced odd responses. One guy emerged from a shed and shook his head as if I was a burglar, despite the fact that I'd walked into his yard and shouted 'hello' loudly, several times; another mentioned a name of a landowner who turned out to be long dead.

In the end I searched on .Gov Land Registry and found the owners for £3; if you don't have the address you can drop a pin on the exact spot.

Walk the area & check google earth closely; aim for independent access, and vehicle access even in wet weather; before you visit, choose a screened site, invisible even in winter; offer a written agreement: years ago I knocked up a simple Land Licence, which does the job:

Land Licence

This Licence is made between:
the Landowner ……………………………………………………….........................................
………………………………………………………………………….................................................
and the Licensee …………………………………………………….........................................
………………………………………………………………………….................................................
in respect of land owned by the Landowner known as .................................. ………….…………………………………………………………………………...................................

2 The Licensee agrees to pay a minimum rental of one pound of honey per colony per annum for permission to keep, operate and maintain hives of honey bees at ………………………………………
..............................................................................................................................................................................................

3 Termination of the Licence shall be notice of three months, given by either party.

4 The Licence cannot be assigned by the Licensee.

5 The Licensee shall maintain Public Liability Insurance.

6 The Licensee shall maintain the apiary so as to avoid nuisance, and without negligence regarding the storage of equipment and management of the apiary.

Signed …………………………………………… Landowner
Date ……………………………………………….

Signed ……………………………………………. Licensee
Date ………………………………………………..

Page 1 of 1

Back