Reassurance please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'd read about it but never seen it. Opened a hive today, been struggling to build up this year but the weather's been awful. QC charged 2nd frame in. Another middle frame and another next frame both capped. 1st left edge other two centre. Supercedure I'm thinking as Q still there. So, deep breath. Leave queen in and pinch two closed cells leaving the charged and just about capped cell. Eased 1 away, went to 2nd closed cell and only touched it and out she scurried, a wee thing, never seen a virgin before as I dont open the hive to look for them normally. Runs onto my nitrile. Panic stations. Ping! I've a prepared nuc. Walked over and popped her in. Breathe. Caged hive Q. Shook 3 frames of nurses into nuc, couple of BIAS frames. Packed up. Will the nurses accept her? She'll have their pheromone right? No bees, flying or nurse will ball her? Leave it be till mid month and have a look. Of course I'm feeding them later tonight. Thanks for any tips. Amazed how small she was, and quick.

Back