Looking for land to keep bees. What is the Etiquette?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I currently keep bees on family
owned land but am looking for an apiary site closer to home. Is there any etiquette in approaching farmers and land owners etc. Should I send a letter with my contact details first? I have approached the local bee keeping association for help as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I actually went on local village Facebook and asked if anyone could help..got reply.. 'please come to me'. 10 hives now in 100 acres of private Park land. Really fell on my feet. Just supply family with honey all year and, when I can, will be teaching the head groundsman about beekeeping. He wants his own hive now!

I actually went on local village Facebook and asked if anyone could help..got reply.. 'please come to me'. 10 hives now in 100 acres of private Park land. Really fell on my feet. Just supply family with honey all year and, when I can, will be teaching the head groundsman about beekeeping. He wants his own hive now!
That’s sounds perfect! Thanks. Will try a few local Facebook groups. Good idea.

That’s sounds perfect! Thanks. Will try a few local Facebook groups. Good idea.
When approaching farmers , it’s better to locate a likely site , check vehicle access and whether or not it’s in regular use by the farmer !
armed with this knowledge you stand a better chance than just a regular request as the farmer is often too busy to pay much heed as thinking where on his land he could accommodate you Etc . to ask specifically gets a better response .

When approaching farmers , it’s better to locate a likely site , check vehicle access and whether or not it’s in regular use by the farmer !
armed with this knowledge you stand a better chance than just a regular request as the farmer is often too busy to pay much heed as thinking where on his land he could accommodate you Etc . to ask specifically gets a better response .
Thank you - Yes that makes a lot of sense

Hello all,

owned land but am looking for an apiary site closer to home. Is there any etiquette in approaching farmers and land owners etc. Should I send a letter with my contact details first? I have approached the local bee keeping association for help as well.
Some farmers will advertise on your local associations Web page.
But my best sites have been ones I've acquired by driving around and looking speaking to farmers face to face is always the best way.

Some farmers will advertise on your local associations Web page.
But my best sites have been ones I've acquired by driving around and looking speaking to farmers face to face is always the best way.
Thanks yes face to face sounds like a good way.

Hello all,

Simple answer - no and no. Find an arable or cereal farmer and odds on they will find you a space and get the benefit of free pollination of their crops.

I would recommend approaching the farmers / landowner direct.
That initial face to face chat let's the two of you see who you are dealing with.
If they already have a beekeeper on their land then its worth asking the farmer for any recommendations as to where you could try next.
That way you turn up at the next farm with references
I.e. "Farmer Bob suggested I call on you"

My opinion, most if not all farmers love the land and all that goes along with it... They will be aware of all the benefits of having well managed colonies on there land as they will be assured of a sustainable supply of pollinators.

Your biggest obstacle in my opinion is the farmer allowing strangers onto his land.... We have all suffered losses from gates left open or gates closed when they were supposed to be open, livestock getting mixed up causing more work, lost man hours, spun up and/or damaged pastures from tyres or spinning...
Hell, even rubbish left laying around...

My advise...
Try focus on how you will look after his best interests and take care of his land - that is his bread and butter... Offer to report any damages to fences, injured animals, foot traffic etc etc etc.. The offer of free honey should be last on the list.....

Wishing you the best of luck...
Just keep it honest and open and let him/her know of what a privilege it would be for you to be allowed to manage colonies on his/her land.

IMO farmers are a pain to deal with, I see and deal with them day in day out. They are a lot easyer to deal with off you know them or have been referred to them by another farmer. If they think your making a pound they want 2 tho, I would be worried about spray schedules ect as they get themselves wound up and in a panic about something new, they have to do it at that moment with no delay for anything. I’d suggest hunting for one that’s growing these wild flower patches as they arnt going to spray that

Last edited:
I've used face book very successfully before when I was looking for a site for a few hives near a shop that wanted to stock local honey.
I asked if anyone would like to host a couple of hives in the corner of a field, orchard, edge of wood, or bottom of a large garden.
Within an hour I had 5 offers and within 24 hours I had over 20! I visited 5 and picked a nice large garden with good access and great owners. I don't sell much to the shop as the owners of the garden buy a lot of the crop to give to friends and customers of their business. I think they had about 50 jars this year.
I also had a reply from someone who wanted someone to set up and maintain two wbc's that she had but had died out a couple of years earlier. That's a nice little earner.

Facebook works a treat, just word the request well otherwise you'll get flooded with people who want them in their back garden.
And then you find there's only enough space for one hive, behind their garage and across the fence from a school playground,

Latest posts

Back