Wood preserver

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbean

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi one and all, i have some reconditioned and new hives and am looking to treat the woodwork with a bee friendly wood preserver, can anyone tell me the best to use and from where i can get it. Many thanks..

I use boiled linseed oil mixed with beeswax. Perfectly natural and cheap. 10% beeswax by volume. Only disadvantage is that it takes days, sometimes weeks to go fully dry.

hth

Tony

Hey misterbean!

Ive heard linseed oil with bees wax is meant to be good, if you dont have bees wax, then linseed oil on its own would do. Best thing is, its all natural and smells nice to :)

linseed oil is good but you do get mold spots after some time, I used 5 year clear wood preserver last year and garden shades. just allow to air for a few weeks before use, although some beekeepers have actually painted hives with this with bees inside with no affect to the bees. If your hives are cedar you don't need to preserve them. please note that any preserver is only to be used on the outside of the hive

Try osmo it is a mix of oils and beeswax. I put it on my windows (the wood bit!) and the bees are all over it. Pretty sure they come to no harm. Only draw back is price!
E

Hey misterbean!

Ive heard linseed oil with bees wax is meant to be good, if you dont have bees wax, then linseed oil on its own would do. Best thing is, its all natural and smells nice to :)

Candle wax (paraffin) works as well as beeswax,,,

Latest posts

Back