Wire round bottom bar of frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all as you will see from this post I am a novice beekeeper putting together my first frames. My beehive was half put together by someone else, the frames they have put together in the brood box have wire poked through the foundation and looped round the bottom bar of the frame then twisted together, do i need to do this with the super frames? Also why would you do this? the foundation has 3 eyelets secured by nails so I am a bit confused about why you need this? I have a national hive with wired foundation. Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

Trying to picture your description ... If you are using wired foundation that's fine. Some guys will wire their own which is what I suspect you are describing. If just using the bought wired foundation the pins catch the wire loops as you say, simples ...

A photograph would clarify what you are saying.

As Hombre suggested a pic would help.

There could be a valid reason for doing what you described or just how they were taught to do it.

Dave Cushman's website has a wealth of information and detailed instructions (with pitures) on how to assemble frames:-
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/frameassy.html

The foundation should extend into the gap between the bottom bars so there is no need to tie it in with wire -unless the foundation is short and then it will likely deform if it cannot extend through the gap as the foundation warms and is drawn.

just wondering if the person who help has put the wired foundation in with the long loops downward ( ie upside down)...the long loops then each twisted together and around the bottom bars

it would mean the bees would need to rework the foundation...but then mine seem rework it anyway

just wondering if the person who help has put the wired foundation in with the long loops downward ( ie upside down)...the long loops then each twisted together and around the bottom bars

I had someone once try and convince me that that was THE way to make up 14x12 frames "so the comb doesn't sag during inspection".
Not so.
But if they draw the frame fast, they draw it fully to the bottom bar and into the corners.
And then it doesn't sag. Even if you inspect the frames at 45º ... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back