Wired foundation moving during inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I am new to beekeeping and have just completed my 2nd inspection after installing a nuc.

They are still drawing out the foundation on the new frames and I can see BIAS so presume all is good even though I didn't see the queen this time.

When I tilted one of the heaviest frames the wired foundation pulled out of the bottom of the frame.

Is there anything I should do or will the bees eventually brace it back to the frame and make it more stable for the next inspection?

Thanks
Chris

Just push it into place and the bees will fix, it happens sometimes in hot weather on newly drawn and filled frames. Learn to turn the frames to avoid sagging!

This scenario has been one of my biggest fears for 14 x 12 frames (even with wired foundation when new or nibbled at the sides and bottom. I have got over this by drilling two small holes in the top bar and pushing 12" bamboo skewers on each side of the foundation down and the tip in between the bottom bars I divide the frame into 3 sections. To draw them together a piece of wire is pushed through the foundation and twister to secure. The bees build no problem and the frames are rock solid when built. Will post when I get the chance.

If a problem, when inspecting, always keep the frame vertical
I agree but I have seen so many 14 x 12 even with foundation wired that on a hot day and the comb nibbled up the sides and along the bottom the wax comb within the frame there is a lot of wobbling about especially when well loaded with bees and when a good flow is on.. This addition - see photos - has helped and gives some confidence. Couple of photos - excuse the brick as it was all I had to prop up the frame on to show the holes in the top bar. Not sure if you can see the wire ties. I also use my own foundation which is thicker and I feel it helps against the nibbling behaviour.

Attachments

• IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4132.JPG
    IMG_4132.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
[QUOTE="Ian123, post: 865887, member: . Learn to turn the frames to avoid sagging!
[/QUOTE]
Usually the first lesson in the practical course...how to handle a frame and turn it so you can inspect both sides whilst holding it vertically. There's a really good video somewhere showing the technique... I'll have a look for it.

[QUOTE="Ian123, post: 865887, member: . Learn to turn the frames to avoid sagging!
Usually the first lesson in the practical course...how to handle a frame and turn it so you can inspect both sides whilst holding it vertically. There's a really good video somewhere showing the technique... I'll have a look for it.
[/QUOTE]
This was an undrawn frame set horizontally for photographing not for examination

This was an undrawn frame set horizontally for photographing not for examination
[/QUOTE]
Hang it up and photograph it vertically...

Follow this carefully. Get a spare frame and hold it in front of your face with the top bar at the top and a hand on each lug. You would inspect one side in this position.
Now ..... Lower your left hand so that the frame is on its side with the top bar facing the left. Now with your hands in the same position gently swing the frame round 180 degrees so that the top bar is facing the right.
Lift you left hand again so that the frame is now upside down. You are now looking at the other side of the frame and can inspect it. Drop your left hand again and swing the frame back to its original position ready to go back in the hive the way you took it out. At no time was the frame other than vertical so no pressure goes on the wax to enable it to collapse or come loose. There are lots of other advantages to doing it this way too.
Practise and practise until it becomes second nature. It is the way all beekeepers should be taught to handle frames. As your experience grows you will not need to be quite so mechanical at it but for a beginner it is so useful.

Could it be as simple as this..... The pins are not nailed into the wedge AND through the three wire loops? There are three big loops and three small loops in foundation, or at least mine have it and always have. The big loops are bent at right angles to tuck them neatly against the right angle the wedge bar came out of. Said wedge is nailed back in with the nails also through the loops.

Just a thought.

PH

Follow this carefully. Get a spare frame and hold it in front of your face with the top bar at the top and a hand on each lug. You would inspect one side in this position.
Now ..... Lower your left hand so that the frame is on its side with the top bar facing the left. Now with your hands in the same position gently swing the frame round 180 degrees so that the top bar is facing the right.
Lift you left hand again so that the frame is now upside down. You are now looking at the other side of the frame and can inspect it. Drop your left hand again and swing the frame back to its original position ready to go back in the hive the way you took it out. At no time was the frame other than vertical so no pressure goes on the wax to enable it to collapse or come loose. There are lots of other advantages to doing it this way too.
Practise and practise until it becomes second nature. It is the way all beekeepers should be taught to handle frames. As your experience grows you will not need to be quite so mechanical at it but for a beginner it is so useful.
Yes ...that's the way, exactly as I was taught, although it's easier to see it done than talk about it !. There used to be a video of someone demonstrating it on the internet but I can't find it anywhere. There's loads of videos of inspections and they are all making the mistake of getting the frames horozontal ... which is fine if they are well drawn and attached but a heavy fresh one on a warm day .. disaster looking for somewhere to happen.

Yes ...that's the way, exactly as I was taught, although it's easier to see it done than talk about it !. There used to be a video of someone demonstrating it on the internet but I can't find it anywhere. There's loads of videos of inspections and they are all making the mistake of getting the frames horozontal ... which is fine if they are well drawn and attached but a heavy fresh one on a warm day .. disaster looking for somewhere to happen.
Here it is

Thats putting a frame and foundation together ... I was talking about handling a frame when doing an inspection.
Ooooops sorry Phil,
Jumped to the wrong conclusion. 😂

Latest posts

Back