Top or bottom bee space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Roberts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,
I am a complete beginner, having just finished a theory course. I am just putting together my first flat-packed National hive and am trying to decide on top or bottom bee space. I was considering screwing in the sides so I could try one method but then change to the other fairly easily in the future. Having said that, it probably wouldn't be easy to change with a hive full of bees - so perhaps I need to choose now.
What do other people think?

Just ignore anyone who says, "top bee-space" and believe the first person who votes the opposite....BOTTOM BEE SPACE. ;)

If you’re using nationals then I’d stick with bottom, in the future if you pick up any equipment that’s already made you will want it inter changeable. Top is probably simpler but welcome to the world of British beekeeping😂

Your National is BBS. Yes you can change it but it will involve some modification or your frame lugs will rest directly on the shelf. Thorne actually sell a TBS version.
The problem with BBS is those long lugs sitting below a bee space rebate.
I modify my boxes, TBS is much better ;)

As a beginner I would stop with BBS. Most national kit will be set up like that.

I have both, wood BBS and poly TBS, I prefer the bbs, I'm less concerned when I put a box down on something even if it's a roof at an angle, as less bees are likely to be crushed.

Your problem is not bee space

It’s going with a National brood box

Only joking. What ever you go with is what you’ll get used to - simplest to go with standard

Latest posts

Back