Wintering bees, how many dead?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flashing red leds

Not really a lot of good! In fact NBG at all. Monochromatic and bees don't see red in the spectrum! Try blue ones!

RAB

Kaz,

An ear to the hive will settle all your worries (obviously unless they are actually dead!!!) I find it very reassuring when I hear a healthy "buzz" on a cold winter's day! Little or no flying bees for the last few weeks though... Might give them some fondant over the next few weeks but I am not too worried at the moment...

Ben P

I tried to listen but heard nothing, but that doesn't worry me really because I expect I'd find more than a handful dead if the colony had died of cold. I suspected the two dead bees were undertakers, caught in the cold as they seem to have dumped them over the edge of the landing board. Idk, that's just what I assumed. I'm taking my old stethescope tomorrow, see if that helps. We will probably give more fondant when we treat in Jan.

kasmcc,

I empathise with your anxiety and I'm glad that the advice offered seems to have been pretty reassuring. To add my ha'porth, I had similar concerns with my single colony last winter, but everything turned out fine in late Feb. I resolved then to look on the bright side...if there are dead bees outside the hive, then there are some live ones inside chucking them out. Good luck!

This morning I have been assured that I still have plenty of bees in my loony hive because a whole load of them are out flying and walking around on front of the hive. Looks just as many as on a warm day when they are doing orientation flights......

Not seen one from the other hive....

Just back from a quick check, a few dead ones, maybe half a dozen or so , one came out for a flight.

A couple of bees flying here today, saw two drones! There are a few industrious bees turfing out the dead too. 20 or so scattered around the hive area.

5 deg C here today, some bright periods, but still plenty of snow on the ground; the big question is when do I remove the board from the front of the hive?

15 dead on the landing board the other day and all gone this morning.

Took three bigs bangs on the hive before I heard a buzz and even then it was a bit faint. I guess that they were pretty tightly clustered. Both hives still quite heavy so nothing to worry about.

I tried to listen but heard nothing, but that doesn't worry me really because I expect I'd find more than a handful dead if the colony had died of cold.

Bees don't really die from cold. They die from starvation.

Ben P

Thought they died of cold if they got stuck outside in the severe weather, Idk, just guessing from what I've read. I don't really want to bang on the hive because won't they become more active and eat more, stores are a worry as it is. I understand, as our brood and half was about 3/4's full by the time apilife finished, they will still have enough and the time to worry will be nearer spring, is that correct? I can arrange fondant better after xmas, I will discuss it with mentor.

This morning I have been assured that I still have plenty of bees in my loony hive because a whole load of them are out flying and walking around on front of the hive. Looks just as many as on a warm day when they are doing orientation flights......

and at 4.30 some were still walking about on front of hive.........

Thought they died of cold if they got stuck outside in the severe weather, Idk, just guessing from what I've read.

Yes this is true, but this is not the way that "colonies" die out. As said many times before a few bees caught out in the cold will not kill off the entire colony!!!

Mine are on single brood so yours will have more stores. Not particularly worried but, due to the extended cold snap, I will probably put a slab of fondant over the feed hole in the next few days- just in case! I have a friend who is a haphazard beekeeper (when it comes to winter management) and yet, his colonies always seem to survive until the next spring (and go on to produce a good honey crop). What I am saying is that us beekeepers tend to worry a lot and that sometimes these worries are unnecessary. After all, feral bees often seem to find ways of surviving without our help...

Ben P

Thanks Ben, I don't think I explained myself properly, but that's what I meant, that only a couple had got cold and died. I fully expect the colony to be huddled up there, I was just wondering if a handful of bees outside was normal, as the numbers quoted in another thread were a lot higher.

I have been a bit preoccupied lately lol, not making much sense am I?

Really, yes. I expected some behind the mouse guard, maybe the birds had taken some lol

I have Kewl floors, so it's a vertical drop from the floor to the landing board beneath. Of five colonies in the garden a few have up to ten bees on the landing board this morning and one with two bees in the vestiges of the snow on the roof. Then one colony that had a heap of about 30 - 40 bees in a wee hillock where the undertakers have dropped them. I usually clear the landing boards so that I can keep an eye on the activity from day to day.

All normal and nothing to worry about.

I removed the cover over the entrance as there is no snow left here, a few dead bee's outside the hive, but very soon lots of bee's coming out carrying dead bee's, flying off and dropping them all over the place.
lots of what looked like orientation flights, and a few relieving themselves close to the hive!.
at least i feel a bit less concerned now.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I bet they are fine. I just have to get used to this period of beelessness lol, but for a fidget it's hard not to want to mess :D

Latest posts

Back