winter stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not a wholly silly idea IF you are using a solid floor!

1/4 inch ?

Hooper was writing before the acceptance of open mesh floors.
And you'll note that he wisely suggests more venting is needed in warm & damp areas than in colder & drier ones

By the way, did you note that on page 101 (opposite) we are told that we must, by law, report to the "Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food" (long gone) if we find even a single Varroa mite?

All the old references need to read with an understanding of the changes since they were written.
I'm just starting to read Manley ...

My point was this claims to be an updated version published 2010

A quarter inch I think was the maximum he was proposing and the gap would anyway be under the overlap of the roof.
But yes, it sounds draughty! (But condensation shouldn't be a problem.)
You'll have noticed that he is not definitively saying "whether a little, a lot or none is best for the bees" - he's saying "try ventilating some colonies in winter, and see if it suits your bees over the years."
Fair enough, but I think the general opinion (with the exception of those for whom -20C is normal) nowadays is that an open floor combined with a sealed, insulated top makes an even better solution.

ADDED - I think the "update" is only to add a section on Varroa to the 'Pests & Diseases' chapter (as per the title page).

he has been doing his beekeeping fifty years without loss, (He has not said he has lost any) so what's the problem, things have moved on, but whether he has moved on with the times, answer, no, I bet there are a lot of others reading what he has wrote, but saying nothing, because they may of been doing the similar for years, at least he asked the question and others will learn, but why attack, He is reading this forum now and has noticed things have changed so why belittle the way he manages his bees, same with the jar of honey, he never said it was bought honey, most probable his own honey,(before you start on me, if it was from his own and no problems in the past no worries) I don't know just saying, same as solid floors what's wrong with solid floors? I use them in some hives so does hivemaker, are we bonkers, don't answer,
Remember we all pick up little snippets from forums, there is no need to attack when someone asks a question after telling you how and what they are doing-done

Very many thanks, John - I'm glad there is someone with manners round here and is applying a little logic.

Unfortunately my first sally into the attic to find my bee books only turned up 1 and it certainly doesn't say anything about wintering without the excluder. I'm not attacking the procedure, nor am I defending any books I read 40 to 50 years ago, but it does have to be admitted that fashions change and the proponents of fashions with defend them to the hilt and with the most convincing logic.

The jar of honey that I put on came from the same bees some 2 years back - perhaps I should have said that, but rather assumed that something like that was a bit obvious.

I will admit that the aggression that has appeared here as the result of of one query has left me somewhat bemused. There are hives that are aggressive and easily stirred up, and there are those that are benign and friendly; perhaps my isolation from other beekeepers has shielded me from the broad spectrum characteristics of other keepers in general. Curious, as the few that I have come in contact with over the years have all been extremely friendly.

Rob

Rob

Please do not let the "aggression" that you find on this forum put you off. I am sure you have much to contribute.

It is unfortunate that a few frequent posters on here have an aggressive attitude and regrettably the moderators (in their laid back style) allow this to continue.
I inhabit other fora and it is the case that a few knowledgable posters with time on their hands seem to set the timbre (if thisis the right word?) of the forum. On these other fora all are very polite and there is none of the hassle all of us experience at one time or another.
Regrettably some here seem to want to fall out with everyone. Shame as they do have knowledge that is useful to us all.

It is unfortunate that a few frequent posters on here have an aggressive attitude and regrettably the moderators (in their laid back style) allow this to continue.

I also agree,and can certainly put a stop to it,to a point, if members would like a bit more strict moderation towards the ones that are unable to moderate themselves.

"All the old references need to read with an understanding of the changes since they were written.
I'm just starting to read Manley ..."

Both Manley and Snelgrove are excellent older texts and seem from multiple readings to contain little in the way of glaring errors/discrepancies wrt modern practice. Yes we have varroa now but aside from that the pearls of wisdom far outweigh any outdated contents.

Personally i'm awaiting publication of "50 years of beekeeping in poly" by you know who!

"All the old references need to read with an understanding of the changes since they were written.
I'm just starting to read Manley ..."

Both Manley and Snelgrove are excellent older texts and seem from multiple readings to contain little in the way of glaring errors/discrepancies wrt modern practice. Yes we have varroa now but aside from that the pearls of wisdom far outweigh any outdated contents.

Personally i'm awaiting publication of "50 years of beekeeping in poly" by you know who!

IT is same what some one writes if the reader do not want to learn.

Adult people mostly search for knowledge which support their present style.

I wait a book "200 years native bees in a national hive".

There will be a long wait then as a, there are 25 years to go and b, Murray has said firmly he has no intention of writing that book.

PH ;)

"I wait a book "200 years native bees in a national hive"."

i understand amazon are taking pre-orders!!!!:)

BTW Is it true that Rene Redzepi and Heston Blumenthal are opening a restaurant in Helsinki serving, amongst other dishes, winter bees lightly sauteed over an aquarium heater?

Last edited:
Just read this thread for the 2nd time from the beginning and yes I think the mods could draw some conclusions from some of the posts. They may well have been posted in good faith but on re-reading they are a bit sharp?

PH

"I
BTW Is it true that Rene Redzepi and Heston Blumenthal are opening a restaurant in Helsinki serving, amongst other dishes, winter bees lightly sauteed over an aquarium heater?

I was advised to laugh without a good/any reason. Now it is the time, because who knows when I get the next reason.

Haaah hah.

:iagree:
I also agree,and can certainly put a stop to it,to a point, if members would like a bit more strict moderation towards the ones that are unable to moderate themselves.

Rob

Please do not let the "aggression" that you find on this forum put you off. I am sure you have much to contribute.

I inhabit other fora and it is the case that a few knowledgable posters with time on their hands seem to set the timbre (if thisis the right word?) of the forum. On these other fora all are very polite and there is none of the hassle all of us experience at one time or another.
Regrettably some here seem to want to fall out with everyone. Shame as they do have knowledge that is useful to us all.

Being quite new to the forum with a mixture of old knowledge and experience, forgotten facts, modern reading and some personal beliefs, I've stopped asking some questions that I would appreciate some advice on from the forum because of the aggressive (or aggressive /defensive) and often snide remarks from many of the regular posters. I enjoy debate and have learned a lot from people who I disagree with, as well as from those with whom I share some consensus. I don't see the degree of bullying/aggression here on any other forum I use, so maybe a stricter moderation would be useful. Hopefully some people will be busy with their bees come spring and wont feel the need to contribute to every single thread regardless of the fact they have nothing useful to add to it.
I can usually get a good laugh from some of the off topic stuff but I fear this will become a most unwelcoming place if people aren't a bit more careful.
BB

Being quite new to the forum with a mixture of old knowledge and experience, forgotten facts, modern reading and some personal beliefs, I've stopped asking some questions that I would appreciate some advice on from the forum because of the aggressive (or aggressive /defensive) and often snide remarks from many of the regular posters. I enjoy debate and have learned a lot from people who I disagree with, as well as from those with whom I share some consensus. I don't see the degree of bullying/aggression here on any other forum I use, so maybe a stricter moderation would be useful. Hopefully some people will be busy with their bees come spring and wont feel the need to contribute to every single thread regardless of the fact they have nothing useful to add to it.
I can usually get a good laugh from some of the off topic stuff but I fear this will become a most unwelcoming place if people aren't a bit more careful.
BB

I've been reading this forum for almost a year and have genuinely learnt a lot, but it is necessary to be able to tune out the background noise. There is a German word which I believe describes the trait involved (of a very small minority).....'Rechthaberei' .... also defined by an uncontrollable rage at the mention of the word 'matchsticks'. :leaving:

I will admit that the aggression that has appeared here as the result of of one query has left me somewhat bemused. There are hives that are aggressive and easily stirred up, and there are those that are benign and friendly; perhaps my isolation from other beekeepers has shielded me from the broad spectrum characteristics of other keepers in general. Curious, as the few that I have come in contact with over the years have all been extremely friendly.

Rob
Rob

BB

I can relate to most of what's said above.

Beekeeping is quite a solitary occupation, even for those with enough hives to call themselves 'bee farmers', and many of the books available are just a bit dry when compared to other 'hobby' reference material. So people tend to turn to the internet to learn more, or to brush up their skills and knowledge and find out what's new.

This site has a massive potential, there are some incredibly helpful and knowledgeable people who are willing to share their experience by answering questions quickly and carefully. There's a heck of a lot of useful information here, so trawling through old threads can be very, very, worthwhile.

But ... and it's sadly the case of being quite a big 'but' ...

There are some who think it's okay to criticize, challenge and ridicule other people's actions and opinions, and even question the reason for asking a question. It's a bizarre way to behave, and it seems to happen almost without censure in a way that wouldn't happen in the real, face-to-face world. It's quite intimidating and unsettling when it happens in force, and a thread, and the individual, are torn to pieces by the pack. When you're reading through old threads you can see that it happens again and again, and for no apparent reason because a similar thread is left almost unscathed.

I've been around the internet for years, have both run and modded forums with far more challenging, and potentially controversial, subject material, than this one. But I have never, until now, felt uncomfortable or awkward about asking questions or offering an opinion, and I've never, until now, been on a site where newcomers are so frequently presumed to be either wrong, totally ignorant, or, in some cases, incompetent, and where so many are openly abrasive towards others. In the same way as some teenagers behave badly, it might be "because they can".

I recently promised myself that I'd only add my comments to bland threads, the ones that couldn't really ever be controversial unless they were taken off topic, because I didn't want to be either made to look foolish or be totally ignored. I've broken my own promise now, I'm guessing the reaction will be as I've hinted in the previous sentence.

I agree we need tighter moderation. The aggression and unpleasantness is really unnecessary.

How do you weed stupidity? Like "my opinion against 10 years research".
Those vain oxalic acid debates. For years and same guys.

or "my two page opinion about polyhives even if I have not used them".

forget it. Impossible.

Actually here is a group which aswers to everything. A good job to Hivemaker, to do what to them?

We see what happened to the first forum when line was too tight. Full of mating problems. Like moderator wrote to me "you are nothing". Before that I wrote about him "Man or mouse".

Which is better, mouse or nothing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back