Winter oxalic necessary if bees treated with oxalic in autumn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I treated my bees this autumn with three doses of sublimated oxalic acid, at 7 day intervals.

My question is, is it really necessary to treat them again this winter, just 90 days later?

Would be interested to hear what others do.

Most including me do 3 or if needed 4 vapes/doses at 5 day intervals. By day 7 the breeding mite can be under cappings again. If more drop or alcohol wash etc indicates then repeat mid winter.
As you did 7 day intervals maybe repeat on the brood gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I treat in winter to take advantage of the broadness period when many of the mites are out and about.

My autumn vaped hives where vaped again just before this cold spell. Most where fine; some weren't and dropped worrying amounts of varroa, despite being clean in Autumn. Planning on vaping them all again!
Your bees, your call.

I treated my bees this autumn with three doses of sublimated oxalic acid, at 7 day intervals.

My question is, is it really necessary to treat them again this winter, just 90 days later?

I would and do, oxyalic does get the vast proportion of mites if you did treat 7 days apart, ( I would say better to treat 5 days apart and do a fourth treatment) but you may still have some phoretic mites as your bees will be more than likely broodless!
Nothing to loose whatsoever other than diminishing the existing small mite load further!
There is the other thought that they may have build up again after your initial treatments! Mild autumn and other beekeepers losing hives nearby can quickly reload your hives! Be aware!
You have absolute nothing to
Loose except your time and some apibioxal! A no brainer! Get your Bees as clean as you can! The results will evident next spring!! [emoji1305][emoji106][emoji219][emoji219][emoji219]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tightly connected to this thread might I ask why it is OK to vape multiple times but only to trickle once?

Tightly connected to this thread might I ask why it is OK to vape multiple times but only to trickle once?

Oxyalic acid is ingested through the gut with the dribble method and I am lead to believe that it’s only advisable to treat with this method once, due to that reason! Vaporising oxyalic acid only affects the surface of the Bees!

I could only do 7 day intervals during late summer, i did 5 treatments and the mite drop calmed down in the end, my first winter vape produced loads on one hive and not so many on the others but still more than i would like so i done a second winter vape the other week, one hive had zero drop yesterday but two still had around 8 mites on the tray after seven days so i will do them once more, i was not going to bother but seems as it causes no harm at all to the bees why not, it can only help.

successive oxalic trickling has been found to compromise the health of the bees - no biggie for the workers as they don't last that long anyway but could be a problem for the queen, unless you're one of those that requeens at every full moon.
Multiple vapings has no effect on the bees

Oxyalic acid is ingested through the gut with the dribble method and I am lead to believe that it’s only advisable to treat with !

You deliver wrong information.

When you trickle, bees do not lick the syrup.
you may see tiny syrup droplets on bees' wings after several days.

Sugar syrup glues the acid on bees' surface. Bees try to clean themselves and spread acid all over.
You may look yourself

Last edited:
You deliver wrong information

Ol thanks can you correct me please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk it’s my first oa dribble, I was under the impression it was the ingestion problem, is it the damage to the epidermis Instead ???

Last edited:
successive oxalic trickling has been found to compromise the health of the bees - no biggie for the workers as they don't last that long anyway but could be a problem for the queen, unless you're one of those that requeens at every full moon.

Multiple vapings has no effect on the bees

Thank yes, still what I was told but I was under the impression it was the effect caused by ingestion in the gut, finny says I am wrong , which I apologise, but still don’t know the actual reason ?????

well it look like there's a consensus!

Heaven forbid that there should be a consensus! What I did was treat each hive, nearly two weeks ago, with vapourised Oxalic Acid and the one (only one, thankfully) that dropped a lot (250) over 5 days got vaped a further twice (@ 6 days and 5 days - Christmas visits precluded one of the 5 day vapings). Last vaping was three days ago and it dropped 12 in 2 days, so still not entirely clean.

The other hives, which were only given one treatment are currently dropping between one and two mites a day 13 days after treatment, which I think is acceptable - leaving a few mites gives the bees something on which to practise their hygienic and ankle-biting skills!

CVB

I was under the impression it was the effect caused by ingestion in the gut

It is, bees like sugar syrup, there is research to see the harm done to the internal organs by oxalic ingestion, which also reduces their life span.

Thank you, but I
Imagine others have other ideas, this consensus will be the shortest ever
Lived![emoji23]

Thank yes, still what I was told but I was under the impression it was the effect caused by ingestion in the gut, finny says I am wrong , which I apologise, but still don’t know the actual reason ?????

No one knows the mode of action of oxalic. It appears to pass through the cuticle and is absorbed by the organs.

Given how it's being used as a silver bullet by many at some point varroa could become tolerant of it.

Maybe maybe not.
Did you take a mite count a month after treating?

Latest posts

Back