Winter insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a weak hive which has last years queen and is only on 4/5 frames,will it help if I insulate it this winter?

I have a weak hive which has last years queen and is only on 4/5 frames,will it help if I insulate it this winter?

YES..... but consider merging with another colony IF your last years queen is failing / and / or never has been prolific?

A nuc with a cover of 50mm kingspan, top and sides. Joints sealed inside and out.
How do you rate the thermal properties of the Pains polynuc? I have a small colony, which I'm thinking to try and overwinter in a smaller, well insulated box.

How do you rate the thermal properties of the Pains polynuc? I have a small colony, which I'm thinking to try and overwinter in a smaller, well insulated box.
I havent thermal conductance tested them yet.
However we do have two of these. We used them this summer with a top and sides cover of 35mm Reticel/kingspan. as below. Our starting point/norm is the equivalent of 75mm of polystyrene foam.

picture.php

Last edited:

The box is reasonably insulated.
But the roof isn't, and you'll soon be seeing condensation on the clear coversheet ...
A poly eke filled with kingspan sorts it.
And you'll want a way to use a proper feeder with it. Again the eke helps, but you'll be wanting to cut another coverboard - doesn't have to be see-through for feeding!

as above - roof is far too thin. resulting in condensation on the crownboard
i made the following using handy heavy duty ply offcuts and a LS size roofing sheet. 50mm kingspan within. no problems afterwards.

So when is everyone considering applying their insulation. Weather here remains warm and I am keen not to signal winter whilst bees are still very active during this warm weather. I was planning on applying mouseguard and insulation mid October given the climate in the SE. Do others feel that is too early or too late??

Mine is on all the time.
I even have custom made Celotex with rapid feeder cut outs.
No mouseguards as my wooden box has an underfloor entrance and the MB polys don't need them but when I did use them I let the turn in temperature be my guide.

My hives have all year round insulation. A comparison showed taking it off in summer reduced growth - we can have cold summer nights often c 10C...

YES..... but consider merging with another colony IF your last years queen is failing / and / or never has been prolific?

I only have two hives and the other one is going like a train so merging doesn't seem an option. Re using an insulated nuc,do I transfer brood frames to nuc now or later in season then keep nuc adjacent to existing hive?
Alternatively could I use existing hive and remove unused brood frames and replace frames with kingspad I could always attach kingspan to hardboard or ply to keep bees away from kingspan if necessary. I could insulate top (inside roof) and sides but do I insulate floor or is that going too far?

Add insulation well before winter so that they can change their configuration to suit. Remember you are unlikely to add more insulation than they would have in a tree nest.

Latest posts

Back