Winter insulation/ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winter ventilation/insulation

• Total voters
Open OMF and top insulation, but I have put in inspection trays when it has been really cold ...... -10˚ or colder

Quite a number of variants which might come up with alternatives to wood, maybe?

No bottom ventilation without OMF mentioned?

With so many of the alternatives cited, a lot of which are, frankly, simply theoretical alternatives (not practical ones), it's a shame the others have been ignored.

Most will know what top insulation means? Two crownboards might suffice, especially if 9mm or more thick, or one layer of bubblewrap or a few sheets of newspaper.

Oh, and isn't a closed OMF practically identical to a solid floor?

I'm with the majority but one of the missing ones is currently in use as well.

Does 'no insulation' include sides?

Apart from that, as most are on one choice and the other may have enough leaks to provide bottom ventilation, a good poll!

RAB

Unable to take part in this poll,as i run 5 different formats within this poll,depending on location of hives,ie 25ft above sea level, microclimate,or 1,700ft,not microclimate.....ventilated roofs or not,with crown board open or closed,often altering in mid feb,...ect ect ect..

OMF floor open - top WBC bee excapes sealed - 1 lift filled with polystyrene, bubblewrap and hessian around hive.

Plenty of top insulation, plus they have such a deep roof, it's practically a WBC. Possibly overkill based on beginners nerves, but they seem to be fine so far.

OMF, glass crown board closed,space blanket, pitched roof.
when needed fast food tray with fondant upturned over hole in crown board, insulation on top.

John

Rab

"isn't a closed OMF practically identical to a solid floor?"

yes it is - the option was there specifically to flag up to those who may (mistakenly perhaps) be using their OMF in a way that is at odds with the (apparent) majority.

"No bottom ventilation without OMF mentioned?"

No - that would start adding too many options! specifically why the "other, please specify" category was there.

"Does 'no insulation' include sides?"

Not for this poll. Again would make things too complicated especially when we have wood vs poly issue to contend with. Was specifically interested in the issue ventilation vs insulation wrt main areas of heat loss and condensation.

DOI My dadants have an internal block of spaceboard behind a dummy board on the side of the prevailing cold wind as they were not fully "stored up" when syrup feeding ended.

Very interesting to see the results - firstly beginners reassurance that I'm in the majority, but also thought provoking to see other preferences. Also of note how few are still apparently on solid floors (HM excepted)

Double brood Nationals, OPEN OMF, NO other ventilation, NO insulation......for me.

Invariably, the bottom brood box acts in the same manner as having a super added underneath a a BB to reduce wind chill (as some advocate) and the colonies at this time of year tend to be in the upper box.

To me, ventilation is far more important that insulation. However, if I have fondant on a hive within a 3" eke I'll usually put something over the top of the block.....so I suppose, for short periods, that could be construed as insulation!

I have put "other" we have OMF, Top insulation, but the top insulation allows air movement to go back down the sides of the hive...we also have bubble wrap around the hive, again allows the wood to breath but also is a wind shield to stop a wind chill effect wit hthe wind pulling the water from the wood, but natural evaporation to take the water out ... also as above fondant can sometime be insulating...

OMF partially open and insulation on top.
Insulation is 50mm off cuts of Kingspan that didn't cost me anything... Inspection trays were in for OA treatment and will be staying in (but with a slight opening for under floor ventilation) for the next couple of months to make the brood nest a bit warmer and to let me track cluster movement and varroa drop.

TBH with mesh floor, closed off in winter, Insulation in roof and also placed ontop of top bars.
No ventilation apart from entrance hole, and small gaps - if any - in bottom board to Mesh floor...accidental rather than design...

Both hives still alive.

I have put "other" we have OMF, Top insulation, but the top insulation allows air movement to go back down the sides of the hive...

Not quite sure I understand. Do you mean there are vents at the edge of the crown board? Having an OMF and top insulation should create convection currents that make air drop at the sides of the hive.

indeed, but due to wobbly cutting its not a perfect fit, so we actually have the best of both worlds... and the bees are at the top of the hive - looking up with red light you can see where they all are... not sure how we will change it next year but at present we aint touching it- it seems to work and they seem ok... (both hives, the little un is a poly nuc in a hive and we thought that would be enough, so far so good)

"but the top insulation allows air movement to go back down the sides of the hive..."

still not clear - inside or outside the hive sides?

Back