Windy Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 National
Morning all,

My hives are up high on a shipping container, to keep them away from the public on site. During the winter the prevailing wind will be direct towards the entrance of the hives. Can anyone suggest if there would be an issue with turning the hives around 180 degrees so that the entrance is shielded from the wind?

Many thanks and have a good day.

Gosh, that sounds like a lot of effort - do you have to use a ladder then have to climb down again when you drop your hive tool over the edge?:unsure:
If your bees are still flying the standard advice is to quarter-turn the hives every few days. In midwinter you could do it in one move.

I'd turn them more slowly if it's getting cold as they could get more chilled whilst trying to find the entrance and landing short.
Could you provide a windbreak eg a plank on edge in front of the hives propped up with substantial blocks?
I used to have hives on a flat roof to keep flight path above people - it worked ok but made the hives more visible resulting in a few complaints (it was urban).

Back