Windows 10 Updates

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Just a heads up folks.

If you are on Win 10 and have a monthly data limit on't interweb the updates are now huge and may / will blow your data allowance.
We are on satellite, as nothing else is available, with a 10Gb monthly limit.
Since 21/9/16 we've had 2 updates, one of 5+ Gb and another of 3+ Gb which took us over our limit and has resulted in our service being reduced from 15 Mbps to 0.25 Mbps. Our only option is to upgrade the package which increases the price from £25 to £45 per month.

And to answer the first question before it's raised NO you can't turn off updates in Win 10.

It may be worth looking into before you get a slow service or a huge bill.

:hairpull::hairpull:

Just a heads up folks.

It may be worth looking into before you get a slow service or a huge bill.

:hairpull::hairpull:

I NEVER upgrade to another windows version until it's at least 3 years old and everyone else has debugged, unbuggered and generally made known all the downsides and pitfalls of yet another half finished programme from Microsoft - even when it purports to be 'free'.

Sorry ... Glad I didn't 'upgrade' - I don't think I've got that much space left on my hard disk !!!

If your under 28 days on a 'free' windows update from a previous version you should be able to revert to your previous before windpws 10 locks you out. NEVER trust Microsoft to do anything but act in a greedy corporate manner! I hate Windows! Well another rant over and I feel better for that.:)

W10 is great. My Broadband /Phone is unlimited at £22/month.

As an exiled Scot (!), I think W10 is VFM.. unlike W8 or WMe.. or other such self censored..

W10 is great. My Broadband /Phone is unlimited at £22/month.

As an exiled Scot (!), I think W10 is VFM.. unlike W8 or WMe.. or other such self censored..

I wish!

BT promise us UP TO 500kbps but a neighbour who is 1 mile nearer to the exchange gets 200 mbps if he's lucky.

My mother-in-law is 1/4 mile from the exchange on over-head copper .. she's lucky to get 90kbps and most often averages in at 72kbps on most speed tests.
Her road is also not cabled so that's not an option either..and she's not in a rural or semi-rural area either.

My mother-in-law is 1/4 mile from the exchange on over-head copper .. she's lucky to get 90kbps and most often averages in at 72kbps on most speed tests.
Her road is also not cabled so that's not an option either..and she's not in a rural or semi-rural area either.

Yes something to remember. I thought my speed was rubbish as I'm quite rural but there are plenty of folk with poor speeds in towns

I may have lost the plot but are you suggesting going with a Mobile supplier to get interweb service. Around here you MAY get a mobile signal but forget 2g let alone anything else. Us yokels are being stuffed by the S.E. centric elite because we don't make a noise. To get ANY interweb service has been and is costing us £25+ per month, and Win 10 is going to double that. Why am I not amused?

Sorry JBM. I can't be ar'ssed about your windows, stop typing occasionally.

Well blow me down.....
Download speed .92 Mb/s
Upload speed .33 Mb/s
Ping 716ms.....................
What's Ping?

Ping is the time it takes for your system to communicate with the server and start to download the 'speed test' , putting it simply. Like saying "hello, lets start" Hope that helps.......or confuses you further.....:)

I may have lost the plot but are you suggesting going with a Mobile supplier to get interweb service. Around here you MAY get a mobile signal but forget 2g let alone anything else.

You have lost the plot - talktalk supply landline, broadband and TV if you want it. (as do voodfone now I believe.)
Been with talktalk for the last two years since they took over AOL. Bunch of cowboys, very poor service and mediocre connection I advise not to touch with a bargepole. Their stunt two years ago was to give worse and worse connection over a period of weeks then tell you it would all be cured with improved speed if you switched accounts and signed up for another eighteen months. I've heard now their patter is we're all on copper but if we upgrade and sign on for eighteen months we'll get fibre (THEY TOLD US LAST TIME IT WAS AN UPGRADE TO FIBRE!!) so I'm expecting a gradual deterioration again. Bit of a bugger as my works system throws a tantrum at the mere hint of a poor signal.
Wasn't fool enough to upgrade to Win 10 in the first place - had been advised not to by too many IT geeks

Last edited:
Get linux...
At present most of my systems are Opensuse linux, only 3 are Windows 10, of which 2 are dual boot Opensuse, 2 are Windows XP. The CFD cluster (14 servers) is only OpenSuse.
The Windows 10 systems are a real pain but some software I have (e.g. PCB layout) doesnt run on linux.
I am trying to migrate as everything to Linux. It used to be Linux was the pain now its swapped Windows is unreliable, expensive, and difficult to resolve problems.
My worst experience was Windows 7 it did a massive update on the morning just before a talk in Devon, but the disk was almost full, so it took 6 hours before it failed, delaying our departure. This was making the system refuse to boot normally. A reboot into safe mode and a long session moving files during the drive down to devon. It then took 3 hours to complete the update.

Last edited:
Ping is the time it takes for your system to communicate with the server and start to download the 'speed test' , putting it simply. Like saying "hello, lets start" Hope that helps.......or confuses you further.....:)

Thank you :)
I am indeed very much wiser now ;)

I know this thread is about OS not internet speed but it helps to have a gripe sometimes...
We have 4G though and the phone is blazingly faster than the computer
Perhaps I should buy a tablet (Stan has one) and abandon BT altogether

Last edited:
Talk Talk are a nightmare they constantly lowered the speed and When I complained they put it back up and after the 6th time I ended my contract. Now with BT that has a constant speed with British call centres. More expensive but you pay for what you get.

Windows 10 updates to loathe.

The one that broke office 2010 in a mysterious way that then needed a office reinstall.

The ones that overwrite the MBR that mean I have to repair linux.

The ones that take hours just before you are about to travel and use the PC in front an audience.

Any landline broadband supplier is going to use the BT/Openreach network and unless they move the exchange or our house the distance and speed aren't going to improve. BT has fibred to the cabinet but that is still 6.5 Km away, from there on it's wet string hanging on poles.

Back