Winding down a hive to ship it overseas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie B

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone, I'm relocating from Egypt to Portugal in 6 months and I want to take my 4 hives with me. Obviously I can't take the bees, so I'm hoping to pass them on to a local beekeeper and then start again in Portugal. My first question is, does anyone know of any regulations regarding the import of empty hives into Portugal/the EU? Secondly, if I can't find a local who's willing to take my bees and swap for empty frames, is there a way to kindly get the swarms out of the hives so I can ship them? Any advice appreciated.

Personally, I can see a world of grief here.

The simple thing would be to sell you hives where you are and use the cash to start up again in Portugal.

Given you are looking at moving from non EU to the great paradise state nothing is going to be simple. Eeurocrats don't do simple as it don't make for Eeuorcratic jobs ya ken?

Also have you thought about compatibility issues with the hives and what is common in Portugal?

Good luck

PH

Hi everyone, I'm relocating from Egypt to Portugal in 6 months and I want to take my 4 hives with me. Obviously I can't take the bees, so I'm hoping to pass them on to a local beekeeper and then start again in Portugal. My first question is, does anyone know of any regulations regarding the import of empty hives into Portugal/the EU? Secondly, if I can't find a local who's willing to take my bees and swap for empty frames, is there a way to kindly get the swarms out of the hives so I can ship them? Any advice appreciated.

You will find that its generally cheaper to buy new hives in Portugal than it will be to ship your used ones. Moving used bee equipment into the EU is not normally allowed. I do appreciate that a lot of beekeepers have an attachment to both their hives they cared for and often built, and to their bees, which they commonly think of as a special genetic resource.

I am not aware that Egypt is on any list of approved sources for bees, even queens.

Personally, I can see a world of grief here.

The simple thing would be to sell you hives where you are and use the cash to start up again in Portugal.

Given you are looking at moving from non EU to the great paradise state nothing is going to be simple. Eeurocrats don't do simple as it don't make for Eeuorcratic jobs ya ken?

Also have you thought about compatibility issues with the hives and what is common in Portugal?

Good luck

PH

Yup, unless your hives are bespoke one off handcrafted masterpieces with enormous sentimental value I cannot see any reason to go to all the fuss and risk of shipping them with you.

Although I agree with all the previous replies and I wouldn't want to take the risk of importing anything. However, I doubt there are any regulations regarding the importation of essentially empty wooden boxes. I cant imagine that you would have any problem passing both bees and hives (if you decide to leave) to local beekeepers. Emptying bees into the open would not be my preferred option and I cant think of a 'kind' way of doing this.
S

Last edited:
You will find that its generally cheaper to buy new hives in Portugal than it will be to ship your used ones. Moving used bee equipment into the EU is not normally allowed. I do appreciate that a lot of beekeepers have an attachment to both their hives they cared for and often built, and to their bees, which they commonly think of as a special genetic resource.

I am not aware that Egypt is on any list of approved sources for bees, even queens.

Agreed, hives are dirt cheap in Portugal. Here is an example, the first one i came across and this is expensive but comes with a wood certificate? I dont know what frame type you are on but the widely available ones are reversivel which is british national type and lusitana which is like 12x14 both with short lugs, any bees you buy here will be on this format. Warning Iberian bees are man eaters.

https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/colmeias-lusitanas-com-certificado-de-madeira-IDBiGJt.html#ad74479e8a

One question: Are Egyptian bees even relevant in Portugal?

Second question: Why Portugal should allow to bring beehives from Egypt?

Youve got small hive beetle in Egypt.
Leave the hives there !

Latest posts

Back