OA. How much mite drop do you get?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are folks using 2+g of OAV as this study found x7 OAV at 5 day intervals using 1g of OA didn’t reduce mite levels when brood was present
Yes, I use two grams on double brood colonies X (usually) five vapes; but sometimes more vapes are necessary.

Well I’m using 3g per single brood colony - to compensate for vaper loss which there is.
Nucs 3g and double brood get 2 vapes.
I’ve never vaped more than 3/4 times @ 5 day intervals

Last edited:
LASI found that even the highest doses (well in excess of 2.2g) had no ill effect on the bees, using syrup as a delivery method (as in trickling) could have a negative effect as the bees ingested much of the OA as they were cleaning the syrup off themselves - no big deal for a worker bee with her limited lifespan, but a queen, subjected to multiple doses it's a different matter which is where the 'once a year' recommendation for all oxy delivery methods (api bioxial, oxybee et al) came into effect. Another example of not letting common sense and logic get in the way.

a queen, subjected to multiple doses it's a different matter which is where the 'once a year' recommendation for all oxy delivery methods (api bioxial, oxybee et al) came into effect.

AFAIR the instructions for ApiBioxal say "dribbling" can be done twice a year, but vaping only once.

James

AFAIR the instructions for ApiBioxal say "dribbling" can be done twice a year, but vaping only once.

James
One wonders at the logic of this ... Do the purveyors of Api-bioxal know nothing about the life cycle of the varroa mite and the interaction with their host species ?

One wonders at the logic of this ... Do the purveyors of Api-bioxal know nothing about the life cycle of the varroa mite and the interaction with their host species ?

I've always imagined it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with what they thought they could get the VMD to accept.

James

all they wanted to do was corner the market and ensure beekeepers couldn't use generic OA - it wouldn't surprise me in the least if, in years to come we find out that the BBKA had their sticky little fingers in there somewhere - it would at least explain the total ignorance of the varroa life cycle and the way OA works

Not just makers of Apibioxal
Making regulations without understanding the ramifications seems to be quite common the last 100 days, especially

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back