Wind proof/waterproof paper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What daytime temperatures do they fly at in bright sunshine

UK bees are a breed apart and don't read the books and don't seem to abide by the same rules governing the rest of the bees worldwide. I posted earlier in the year pics of both bumbles and honey bees merrily out and about gathering pollen Jan 2013 when we had ice on ponds etc. See picasa albums:
Bettws Newydd Jan 2013

Bettws Newydd 2 Jan 2013

Regards W & W paper have you looked plant fleece would that help?

fwiw I had a U.S. neighbour once - I remember he called our "roofing felt" "Tar paper" when helping him with a garden shed.

If you would ever see the horizontal icicle growing out from the upper entrance notch on a very cold winter night...you would understand the difference between your climate and mine. You never see the temperatures we do.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your explanations ... my comments were not directed at your beekeeping .. the OP is in the UK and my comments were directed towards that original post. I'm pretty pragmatic about beekeeping ... if it works for you and you can't (or haven't) found anything better then that's fine in my book. Your climate is very different to anything found in the UK and we have a lot of New beekeepers on this forum who may try to replicate what works for you ... with less success over here.

My best wishes to you and your bees over the winter.

Phil

Just an update guys,
I've read all the replies and the debate is very interesting. Today I wrapped my hives and I will monitor their progress and update you accordingly.

The Kraft paper that is used to make tar paper is a good insulator as is with any paper/cardboard and probably better than our roofing felt

No, I don't mind at all. I put them there to be looked at. I'm glad you like them.

Our snow seems to last forever. We got two inches last night, and this morning the temperature is 6F. I looked at the long range forecast. Several days of snow coming, and cold. Barring some unusually warm weather, and a warm March, I expect the snow will be on the ground now until some time in April.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your explanations ... my comments were not directed at your beekeeping .. the OP is in the UK and my comments were directed towards that original post. I'm pretty pragmatic about beekeeping ... if it works for you and you can't (or haven't) found anything better then that's fine in my book. Your climate is very different to anything found in the UK and we have a lot of New beekeepers on this forum who may try to replicate what works for you ... with less success over here.

My best wishes to you and your bees over the winter.

Phil

Phil,
I do appreciate what you say. I only replied to this thread because someone posted about american beekeepers using matchsticks, open feed holes in the crown board for winter, etc. Not all of us subscribe to the rubbish that is posted by the internet beekeepers, and the beekeeping gurus on BeeSource. Matchsticks and popsicle sticks indeed.

Hi Michael,

Great photos! in defence of stuff you may have read about matchsticks ---you have drier winter air than here in London suburbs e.g. my Hives are tucked away out of the wind and the over-wintering problem is definitely condensation - we seldom get sub zero temps for more than a day or two.

I can't ever remember open feed holes being advised but in the days of solid floors and restricted mouse proof entrances, matchsticks really did work!

Now I'm using OMFs there's plenty of airflow but I still use matchsticks with glazed crown boards. However much top insulation there's still suspended drops of condensation over the cluster - and surely the bees would soon propolise that narrow gap if they objected?

best wishes, richard

jenks - the nice thing about a glazed crownboard is that you can see how active they are in mild periods....which is most of the winter.

this be of any use to you?[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ"]NeverWet Arrives - Hands-On Product Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

Darren

Latest posts

Back