Wild comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
Am new to bee keeping. Over the last few days we were away so I removed the insulating bock I had and in my absence the bees have made lots of their own comb. I have now put in another frame in the space but don't know what to do with comb. I did attempt to put it in an empty super but they have filled it with honey so clearly this is not the answer. Do I just leave it in the empty super and now they I have added another frame they will work on this? Or do I remove it from the hive? Or try to attach it to another frame and put in the super?
Thanks, advice much appreciated
Steve

If the comb was capped then put it on your toast in the morning. They are telling you they need more space. If you give a bit more info on how your hive is set up you will get better tailored answers.

If the comb was capped then put it on your toast in the morning. They are telling you they need more space. If you give a bit more info on how your hive is set up you will get better tailored answers.

If you had an insulating block in place then I assume it is in the brood chamber. You will have to toast the grubs first and put them on toast. :sorry:
Seriously, if it is wild comb with grubs, then in the empty space treat it as a cut out and put the wild comb in an empty frame and keep it in place with elastic bands.

Sounds like it's honey - if it's capped I'm with Craig on this one but elsewise we need more information - empty super? where? let us know how your hive is presently set up

Thank you, yes it was in the brood chamber just got my nuc from a friend so building it up but at a very fast rate! So removed insulating block and added frame and bees have produced comb in the space where the insulating block was. Brood chamber now full and ready to add super now! Will attempt to put comb into frames.
Cheers Steve

If you are ready to add a super and there's only honey in the brace comb - just fill the super full of frames with foundation (or drawn if you have it) Then put on a crown board with an open hole in it - put the comb on top of the board with an eke or empty super then the roof - the bees will consider this area 'outside' of their hive and will rob out the honey and store it down below

Back