Why so messy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well just thought i would do a little test, i went down to my smallholding thismorning first thing and cleaned off the streaks of yellow, the sun is out today and the bees are busy i have just popped back to look and nothing at all there just a couple of pollen capsules on the ledge.

So i can`t help but think maybe it was just pollen knocked off at the entrance and getting soggy with all the rain and drizzle we were having at the time.

I have already ordered some nosema treatment so will go ahead with this anyway as a precaution.

i will have another look before dark.

well just thought i would do a little test, i went down to my smallholding thismorning first thing and cleaned off the streaks of yellow, the sun is out today and the bees are busy i have just popped back to look and nothing at all there just a couple of pollen capsules on the ledge.

So i can`t help but think maybe it was just pollen knocked off at the entrance and getting soggy with all the rain and drizzle we were having at the time.

I have already ordered some nosema treatment so will go ahead with this anyway as a precaution.

i will have another look before dark.

looked at mine tonight and as we had heavy rain yesteday any ivy pollen capsules that got wet look very much like your mess but those under the roof are still intact and capsule like

Hi trapperman
i have just read this today and i have exactly the same as you on the front of my hive but in smaller amounts.

it is exactly the same colour as the pollen being brought in.

i think it is pollen from the bees

mine is in little balls dropped on the landing board.

shonto

Hi trapperman
i have just read this today and i have exactly the same as you on the front of my hive but in smaller amounts.

it is exactly the same colour as the pollen being brought in.

i think it is pollen from the bees

mine is in little balls dropped on the landing board.

shonto

sorry im having trouble loading this picture !

m not

I don't think I've ever seen a bee do a poo! Looks like they've shot it at the hive :ack2:

My goodness the bees near my work can really poo (next to a club apiary, not my club though), my car often has a lovely yellow covering and its a bu**er to get off. I even had a thread about how to remove it and someones suggestion was an angle grinder!

Leave it on! highly decorative and prevents body rot :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

John Wilkinson

Just a quick update, there has been no more streaks on the hive at all since i cleaned it off, so its a bit of a mystery or though i am tending to think it must of just been wet pollen.

I got my nozevit delivered and put on the first treatment on sunday anyway as a precaution.

Did an inspection today its 20c and sunny here, just to make sure everything looks o.k inside and couldnt be better there was the most bees i`ve seen all summer very busy indeed lots of stores some capped some not about 50/50 at the mo still brood on 5 frames mostly capped with less eggs and larve.

All in all i`m feeling much more confident going into winter now.

Is there any point in doing more inspections from now on if they look fine and are being fed? should they just be fed but other than that just left alone now?.

Latest posts

Back