Why so messy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been feeding since the 3rd week of august, in case the weather changes ( ive been watching the brod space to make sure they dont run out of laying area.).

Seems as if we have a whole lot more to learn from bees.

Poo in powder form.

I've got yellow powder falling out of the vents in my obs hive, and some very large lumps in the entrance tube.

Last edited:
Dont forget if your bees have been kept in the hive by bad weather they will be desperate to go, and it can show up as it did on your hive. Keep an eye on it and see if it stops in the next few days.

This can happen if you stress them out.
I had a nuc do this to me when I set it up with 2 frames of brood and shook some nurse bees in. (before I introduced her maj.)
Guess they didn't like being separated from Mum.

Also, I've been told syrup that is slightly "off" can cause this (e.g if you mixed it a week before)

Most likely nosema though.

Looks like diarrhoea to me , could the change in diet (Ivy) or symptomatic of Nosema Apis ? this usually becomes more noticable with the onset of cooler weather !

John Wilkinson

one my hive has an overhanging roof ( tom bick gabled roof) and i have lots pollen capsules of the same colour but not smudged stuck to the hive wall and same pollen caplses ( lots) on the varroa board

now the bees are coming in very loaded with ivy pollen and finding it difficult to land and getting the pollen capsules stuck to the damp wall as they crash land

so although yes, it looks streaked like nosema apis i would expect that to be slight darker so could just be streaked pollen capsules, so scrap some off and look at it under a microscope

so although yes, it looks streaked like nosema apis i would expect that to be slight darker so could just be streaked pollen capsules, so scrap some off and look at it under a microscope

I think this is wise advice and you could also mash up some bees and check for nosema while you're there.
Cazza

Can a bee produce a pile of poo as big as itself?

I just had to get lmao translated! Not a beekeeping acronym then.

Well, due to the subject under discussion, it ought to be.:hurray:

I think this is wise advice and you could also mash up some bees and check for nosema while you're there.
Cazza

How do you do that? I've heard a couple of refernces on here, but can't find anything on it.

30? 50? 60?

It does not really matter as long as you have enough to be representative.

One is not needing to be quantitative here, just qualitative is sufficient.

Only if in doubt do you need to compare with known standards.

If in doubt, treat anyway.

Regards, RAB

30? 50? 60?

It does not really matter as long as you have enough to be representative.

One is not needing to be quantitative here, just qualitative is sufficient.

Regards, RAB

We KNOW it doesn't really matter how many but I for one always prefer to kill as few as possible. That was my point.
C

I think analysis for nosema is the right (and valid) approach, when there is time to both analyse and then treat (assuming you have the microscope and ident experience), but not with the combination of this stage of the season and with suspect symptoms presenting. At the beginning of Oct you are running out of time to treat given the volume of syrup required to dose Fumidil B. Surely a 'safe than sorry' approach is best at this stage of the season?

After reading all the answers regarding what the problem is, do I assume that bees do produce powdered poo then....

I would be very interested to know that :p

I'm like a kid, anything toilet related fascinates me :D

Last edited:
I am wondering why everbody is diagnosing dreadful deseases and disregarding that Trapperman stated that some of the mess on the front of the hive is powdery....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back