Which ones do you prefer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd soon get fed up spacing them by hand with a pencil mark to work from - but, thereagain, I'm not a proper beekeeper like you ...
Surprised he can spare the time for that. :whistle:

That's surprising I've found that the latest Thornes ones are very stiff. I think they have 2 grades as they sent me the ones for their 1st once and I had to cut the ends off to make the fit in my 2nds.
Thanks - I found an earlier purchase to be the stronger variety and so long I had to trim the ends too, though I actually opened up the box joints at either end on some to make them fit more securely. May phone Thornes to see if I can get the thicker version. Or wait for the 2022 Convention? They save a lot of fiddling and have always used them on every box except the Swienty 'foam' jobs of course..

Maisemore's ones are nice and thick, but for better value Simon the Beekeeper. bought a boxful off him a few years ago to replace the flimsy and sharp ones I had from Beehive Bits
Ta muchly.

I'm only 5'11" and not a proper beekeeper so ...

but, thereagain, I'm not a proper beekeeper like you ...

I'm not a proper beekeeper but you are supposed to be a bee farmer ?

I know ... kinder to me not the queen ! I'm just not a proper beekeeper ...

works for me but I'm not a proper beekeeper...

a) I'm not a proper beekeeper

Not bad all round though ... for a not a proper beekeeper ....

But there again ... I'm not a proper beekeeper.

:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::smilie_bett:

If it makes you feel any better, I've a few supers with no castellations and frames self spaced, I ran out of castellations in 2018 but needed the supers and I never got around to fitting any. The frames are firm enough to tip the super up on one end (cold way of course ;)) without any issue and same when transporting them home for extraction.

They save a lot of fiddling and have always used them on every box except the Swienty 'foam' jobs of course..
I fitted some into Abelo supers by drilling a small hole squirting polyurethane glue in and pushing in a small "rawl plug" prior and fixing with 25mm stainless screws.
Worked a treat! 😀

Ah that’s good. We need to keep the smaller suppliers going. Well done.
I like Paul at Modern beekeeping. I was chatting to him this week. V helpful. I like the fact that he is honest with his pricing. Everyday good value 52 weeks of the year, none of this high-low pricing, artificially putting prices up in order to promote "half price deals". Agree we need to keep small businesses going, providing they offer a great service and good value.

I fitted some into Abelo supers by drilling a small hole squirting polyurethane glue in and pushing in a small "rawl plug" prior and fixing with 25mm stainless screws.
Worked a treat! 😀
Any images of the finished product? Never had castellations as run all poly but that seems like an interesting idea.

Worked a treat! 😀
My poly supers are Swienty. I’ve cut the runners into castellations. The frames rest on the rebate but that’s not a problem in supers

Never seen that with any of the beekeeping suppliers to be honest.
What about Bee-equipment? I've noticed for instance their Paradise poly hive boxes are a lot more than Modern beekeeping for most of the year, then they'll pick certain products in the range and promote them half price. Means either waiting til they do this & usually it's not the exact one I want, whereas Modern beekeeping, gives a good price / fair price all year round.

Latest posts

Back