Which ones do you prefer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'm going to try this, this year. The slot in my maisemore feeders seems to be just a little tall, I'm thinking it might be because I painted the inside though and have raised it a fraction. Had a fair few bees go under when the feed had almost run out, and not find their way back out, lots of sticky deaths. used straw in the slot and it stopped drowning
I believe Murray doesn't just put straw in the slot - or even have a slot - the bees have access to the whole syrup area but the straw allows them to take the syrup safely

I believe Murray doesn't just put straw in the slot - or even have a slot - the bees have access to the whole syrup area but the straw allows them to take the syrup safely
interesting idea that. I've got a fair number of the Thornes large plastic feeders they occasionally put in their sale - have built up numbers over the years...and find that in some no bees escape under the plastic feed cover and in others for no apparent reason I get bees managing to squeeze under the plastic bowl insert and commit drowning by numbers.

I use straw/grass in some paynes poly nucs to stop drowning for this very reason ... perhaps I should dispense with the clear plastic covers in the feeders and just fill them with straw and fill to the brim with syrup instead ?

KR

S

interesting idea that.
Chris Broad in Bromsgrove does the same with his poly Ashforth feeders, doesn't bother with the covers for the feed channels, just fills them with straw allowing the bees to access a far larger area

In Sweden some like to fiddle with these plastic bags and straw. They are cheap and contains a lot of syrup. Also no need to storage the feeders.

Hi Sanntos

Thanks for sharing that. What a simple method for feeding and bulk feeding in one go at that...

The bees clearly take the syrup down and store it well and the simplicity of the method does indeed save on feeders and cleaning them - just need a bale of straw and plastic bags and a spare empty brood or super to support the syrup.

I like it when simple ideas are created by others and shared - well done !

KR

S

In Sweden some like to fiddle with these plastic bags and straw. They are cheap and contains a lot of syrup. Also no need to storage the feeders.

Very interesting and seems to work well. I would be terrified putting so much faith in a plastic bag.
:eek:

I used litter trays filled with straw directly on the top bars for years, it works a treat. When I joined the forum I remember mentioning this in a 'feeding' thread and being shot down.
Straw filled ice cream containers work a treat in nucs ;)

This is the beekeeper who made them in the beginning and still have them for sale. . No connection, he lives far from me

The automatic translation is actually very good
He shows different ways of giving winter feed, and at the same time varroa treatment and also taking the last honey

Last edited:

Good to see new ways of doing things. But the bit where he takes the bag out again looks .... messy ....

Latest posts

Back