Which is the best queen cage for marking?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone
Just a quick question about trapping the queen for marking.

I wondered whether you think it's better to use the press in cage (crown of thorns) or the plunger-based system.

Which would you recommend I go for?

Thanks a lot
David

I used to use a crown of thornes but now pick up as it's easier IMO.

Isn't it rather daft that I make a spelling mistake and then the forum automatically tries to mask the word when we all know what it is?

Isn't it rather daft that I make a spelling mistake and then the forum automatically tries to mask the word when we all know what it is?

Could have been a deliberate mistake ;)

John Wilkinson

I would't wish to bee too spikey........ but personally speaking after a very sad loss of a good laying unmarked queen I stupidly followed the advice of a very experienced beek and marked her DO NOT DO IT
IT IS NOT NATURAL, UNCOOL AND UNNECESSARY
AND having no queen availiable at that time to succeed her lost the colony as the workers balled her out of existance.

I only have queens marked now that have been bought in and were already bindied
Little lasses always hide anyway !!

I now just consider it as an honour if HM cares to bless me with a regal wave of her royal antannae!!

ooh, that's a strong opinion. of course it's unnatural - kinda like keeping bees in a wooden box and repeatedly looking at them...

i don't much mind if it's cool or not.

but unnecessary - that's the clincher. food for thought...

thanks for responding. a bit of beekeeping passion goes a long way.

I have used the spikes- didn't like much and when I stood on it and wrecked it- like it even less.
I use the plunger as I can pick her up gently pop her in and mark her. Then keep her there safe and away from bees as she dries.
As some of you know- when I was just holding a queen to mark, another bee alighted on her ,stung her, has made me wary on that method. And I dont like to move away from the colony just holding her.... may just lose her in a flight

I really need to mark as I demo so much- and all new beeks want to see the queen...and when you need to find her, and she isn't marked- she is very elusive.
if i didn't demo I wouldn't bother as my premise is - eggs there... queen there. Close up the hive! :cheers2:

Hi David

I have the c of t but do not use it. Putting your hand into the box and badly spiking your finger plus leaving it in suit pocket and leaning against car promotes empathy with the bees you might be sqwering in order to trap HM. Did the obvious thing and protected the spikes with small chunk of poly but cant see the point in unnecessarily killing bees and the reaction that brings.

I use the plunger type. It is possible to maniputate the thing away from the hive - hold it upside down if necessary- to get queenie in correct place. No attendants to get in way. Its gentle and less stressful for all?

I do not pick her up by hand either. I use the plastic pipe catcher also available from Th**nes.

This is invaluable for isolating her in the first place and then releasing (when YOU are ready) into the marker thingey.

Search this forum for more answers on this subject - it came up recently. Buy them all? Practise on workers. Practise marking workers but remember to squish them! Then you can choose whichever you are most comfortable with

Regs

FB

Last edited:
Have tried all and you cant beat your fingers. Just practice with Drones until you feel confident enough to work on HM.
Cheers
S

In my limited experience, all the cages are potential queen squashers!
Without thinking, I managed to grab an unmarked Q yesterday, took her away and marked her. Very professional. I think it was because I was having a bad day and was past caring - or past worrying. I was wearing marigolds at the time btw

Latest posts

Back