Which hive if you started from scratch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which hive size if you started again?

• Wood National

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Wood 14 x 12

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Wood Langstroth

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Poly National

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Poly Langstroth

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 13.1%

• Total voters
Not sure - try googling the middle and bottom line of your keyboard :biggrinjester:
Fy mab, bwytta fêl; canys da yw: a'r dil mêl; canys melus yw i'th enau.

Touch of the kettle/pot/black/calling methinks :)

Me? I'd go for a wooden Warre, but made of much thicker wood - say 35mm. Hang on, that would be a Russian Alpine Hive then. :)

Or a Long Hive (using National open frames) made from the same stuff. With a 35mm top as well.

All made from recycled scaffold planks - save the planet, trah-lah, trah-lah ... :music-smiley-023:

none of your synthetic non-repairable rubbish

... and as cheap as chips.

LJ

I would have a number. I still want a TBH and a Warre, but not desperately and I'm not paying an extortionate price for them.

Voted 14 x 12 wood as no option for 14 x 12 poly. However still considering poly langstroth to try out.

BHS can supply an eke for 14x 12 in their polly

voted for standard poll since it is a standard size in UK... much like I would not buy a Left Hand Drive car.. not easy to use in UK !!

A Polish seaman goes for his bi-ennial seafarer's medical, after the usual blood pressure, hernia, hearing etc. tests comes the eyesight.
The doctor makes him stand behind a line on the floor and indicates a chart on the opposite wall 'Can you read the bottom line?' he asks 'read it!' exclaims the sailor 'That b*gger was my first captain!' :biggrinjester:

... and as cheap as chips.

The way the price of spuds is going through the roof - I don't think that's a good similie any more :D

The way the price of spuds is going through the roof - I don't think that's a good similie any more :D

You know - as I was writing that I thought exactly the same ...

Another dubious expression is: "works like a charm" - but charms aren't exactly famous for working (my rabbit's foot wasn't very lucky for the rabbit ...), so why do we keep saying that ?

LJ

I voted 14x12 National but as I do this for pleasure rather than business I am also repairing a WBC and would like to try skeps some day.
Ray

A Polish seaman goes for his bi-ennial seafarer's medical, after the usual blood pressure, hernia, hearing etc. tests comes the eyesight.
The doctor makes him stand behind a line on the floor and indicates a chart on the opposite wall 'Can you read the bottom line?' he asks 'read it!' exclaims the sailor 'That b*gger was my first captain!' :biggrinjester:

I was with a mate in Southwold the other week and we decided to have fish n chips. Cod, chips, mushy peas and a coke x2 - £25!. Spuds must have been royals!

You could afford to walk around Southwold?? My OH's family are from Norfolk and Suffolk so frequently visit - but have never been to Southwold as Hubby says we can't afford to walk around it!! :D

Latest posts

Back