Which hive if you started from scratch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which hive size if you started again?

• Wood National

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Wood 14 x 12

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Wood Langstroth

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Poly National

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Poly Langstroth

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 13.1%

• Total voters

karlbown

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
If you were starting from scratch, assuming you had no equipment at all, which brood body size and type would you go for?

Last edited:
I'd go one size box, not Rose, but maybe supers all the way - the number of times in a year that I haven't got the exact right box - drives me mad - so one box for everything has a great attraction!

That's a very good idea, I wish I knew how to update the poll to add it! Also I forgot TBH if anyone thinks that's a good option.

I'd go one size box, not Rose, but maybe supers all the way - the number of times in a year that I haven't got the exact right box - drives me mad - so one box for everything has a great attraction!

Voted 14 x 12 wood as no option for 14 x 12 poly. However still considering poly langstroth to try out.

My exact thoughts too. My beekeeping would have gone much smoother over the last 3 years had I the same size box. I'm thinking poly national boxes when I restart. I would go langstroth but already have the obscenely expensive plastic bucket national extractor.

I voted Other, because I've started from scratch this year with Warré hives.

I voted Other. Warre and TBH here..

I keep threatening to buy a poly something but the price* puts me off - and I have 5 sheets of 35mm insulation plus lots of wood left to build my own..(Do not tell my wife!)

* The costs of one covers all my hive costs to date.

Interesting question, interesting answers I hope. There is the advantage of using what the majority of your neighbours use, local stocks of kit, borrowing a few wax foundations and so on. More of an influence for those with a hive or two. If all the options were equally available locally the answer might be different.

I'd be tempted with Langstroth, either wood or poly, because of the slightly larger brood area and the price of kit from the continent. However, the point alanf makes is a good one ... everyone around me uses nationals and I like to sell a few nucs to association members.

I'd go with the long hive I have now but made from something a lot lighter. It's easy to work, no heavy lifting and the bees seem to like it. But, there's a lot to be said for DerekM's insulated boxes ... in a 14 x 12 size.

I'd stick with National. I'm only little and I find a National BB heavy to move around when it's full. There's no way I'd be able to manage a larger size hive without assistance.

I did toy with going Langstroth, rather that than 14x12 any day but after some deliberation stuck with nationals - wood obviously (I think the old man will be spinning already as I've put UPVC windows in! so poly hives would be going too far)

If you were starting from scratch, assuming you had no equipment at all, which brood body size and type would you go for?
I went for 2 x second hand wood langstroth. Made sure I fully blow torched it before putting bees in it though. Didn't get my bees until late but the girls are working well.

Latest posts

Back