when to switch back to liquid feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Now it is warming up especially Norfolk (10DegC day 2 to 5 deg night) Can I switch back to using liquid feed and if so at what concentration?

Do you need to feed?

Giving a load of liquid feed in the spring is a good way to block the brood nest, limiting laying.

trouble is I am uncertain how much food the bees taken in before the winter. I am new to this and could never work out if the hive was heavy enough by hefting. I could stay on solid food but was wondering if now was the time to switch back and if not now when would seem right. I lost a hive last year because of starvation so do not want the same thing to happen again

trouble is I am uncertain how much food the bees taken in before the winter. I am new to this and could never work out if the hive was heavy enough by hefting. I could stay on solid food but was wondering if now was the time to switch back and if not now when would seem right. I lost a hive last year because of starvation so do not want the same thing to happen again

Have used much solid food?

If you are unsure about store levels/weight stick with the fondant, at least they won't die of starvation and as soon as it warm enough to open the hive then decide if you need to feed 1:1

I've been feeding syrup to minihives for a couple of weeks now, plus a few of the larger polys too. If the fields hadn't been so wet I'd have been feeding a few more. Bees are in the feeders taking it well.
In my experience, for a Buckfast type bee at least, a good healthy colony will not fill up laying space they need for brooding. In milder temperatures they are burning up stores quickly enough that it's not even an issue, when colder they take the syrup much slower. Different story for a struggling colony that might well be clogged up, but even then it's usually as a result of the autumn feed not spring - they don't seem to feed if duffers.

Feeding syrup and blocking up laying space depends on how your hive is set up, on a brood box only, you will have plenty of space, but I think you may be on brood and half so no problem. I have noticed that others on here have been feeding syrup to a nuc box and they don't seem to be worried so if the weather is warm enough and the bees are active it won't be a problem feeding. If the bees are feeding on fondant, let it be. It could be that you put on syrup and the bees don't touch it, then maybe they don't need it.
Beekeeping is a matter of balance and working out what is happening in you own hive.
Steven

Given the current weather you may get a chance for a super quick look inside this week. It could be 17 here Friday which is rather shocking.

Latest posts

Back