When to stop feeding fondant and start syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been feeding by placing lumps of fondant around the inner cover Porter holes, which they are taking actively. I've read it's good to start feeding 2:1 syrup in spring - any views on why, and when is best to start this?

It's 1:1 that is usually fed in spring. Sugar : water 2:1 is usually for autumn feeding. 1:1 is more useful for spring build up because it saves water foraging and allows wider activity within the hive even in poorer weather. As for when, what is the weather like with you? Here it was -2'c again over night with a thick frost, having rained most of the w/e and not climbed above 8'C. Short of giving pollen patties next w/e (on top of frames) with a crown board and fondant above the feeding hole in case they need it mine wont see 1:1 until late March April at this rate. Too much 1:1 feed will simply get laid down in the space you want for laying so not too much, it is a 'stimulant' / 'maintainer' at this time of year, not a 'primary feed' perhaps 0.5 ltr / week for a typical full BB colony.

Hi
its 1 to 1 in the spring and I have given mine some already I have always given when the bees become more active. they tell me. ( not far from the Sea so it is slightly warmer
Been realy sunny here and warm especialy Sunday plus I live by a river and the willow is in full bloom and the haze,l only a very short trip over the trelis fence
Grub

Last edited:
It's 1:1 that is usually fed in spring. Sugar : water 2:1 is usually for autumn feeding. 1:1 is more useful for spring build up because it saves water foraging and allows wider activity within the hive even in poorer weather. As for when, what is the weather like with you? Here it was -2'c again over night with a thick frost, having rained most of the w/e and not climbed above 8'C. Short of giving pollen patties next w/e (on top of frames) with a crown board and fondant above the feeding hole in case they need it mine wont see 1:1 until late March April at this rate. Too much 1:1 feed will simply get laid down in the space you want for laying so not too much, it is a 'stimulant' / 'maintainer' at this time of year, not a 'primary feed' perhaps 0.5 ltr / week for a typical full BB colony.

:iagree: strongly, but I would say that, where Andy lives ie Dorking, the weather is pretty much warm enough for syrup now.

Ben P

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back