When should I order a Nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 + 3 nucs
Hi all,

Sorry if this seems a daft question but new to beekeeping and starting a course in April with my local (lincs) association. However at the moment don't know if I'll be able to get bees via them or if I should consider reserving a Nuc for mid June-July before they all run out?

Thank you :)

Have you asked them, if any of the members of the Association, can supply you one, locally, as they will know the "pedigree" of the bees being supplied, and will be local to you.

Both the associations I'm a member of can supply nucs, to beginners, although always in short supply.

If you want a nuc in May then you would need to reserve one.
But by late June or July everyone has surplus bees.

The advantage of a May nuc is much greater chance of a honey crop this year.

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems a daft question but new to beekeeping and starting a course in April with my local (lincs) association. However at the moment don't know if I'll be able to get bees via them or if I should consider reserving a Nuc for mid June-July before they all run out?

Try not to worry about nucs being available and think: do you feel competent to manage a colony? You really have a lot to learn and, while experience can often be the best teacher, I would advise you to get as much hands-on experience as you can (or, at least, get yourself a good mentor who will work your bees alongside you).

It depends a bit how desperate you are to have bees....and, perhaps, honey.

I have known a lot of beginners who paid premium prices as they were so keen to have bees asap, only to regret it when swarms were issuing left, right and centre, or other beekeepers were awash with bees as a result of their swarm prevention/control. (Last year, some beginners bought two colonies, intending to have two, but ended up with three or four!)

If you can resist the temptation, perhaps work with the association apiary - or other members' apiaries - and see how the summer unfolds. You'll be much better equipped to deal with your own bees when they do arrive - you just can't beat practical experience to determine if it really is for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and hope you end up hooked!

Hi all,

You could always get a "package" of bees, that's how I started, it was such a pleasure starting this way , basically from scratch but you learn a lot quickly, then the second year youre all ready to go for the honey producing & you understand a lot of what you are doing. To get a nuc then move them into a hive you miss so much.

Hi all,

Charlieanne, Welcome to the site. I would firstly join the Local Bee Assoc. I think the nearest would be Kings Lynn. I would also recommend buying local bees from an Association member, he will be able to help you with installing the bees in your equipment and give first hand advice. There are several members on this Forum from the kings Lynn Branch. PeteD the chairman of the branch, may have some overwintered nucs for sale. Also local beeks will not rip you off like the commercial breeders do and the bees will be local and accustomed to South Lincs conditions.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am so keen to start but heeding advice and don't want to rush it and mess it all up hence wanting to wait a little longer to get bees until have at least half the beginners course - which is a mix of practical and theory under my belt.

I am a member of the boston association since September and will do my beginner course with them (a bit closer and my others halfs family live there!) but I have been given Petes details already and will get in touch with him especially as he is literally 10 minute drive away!

Local Assoc should have a 'swarm section', and they usually ensure every member requiring bees will get them.
Then you really must get a bee buddy to see you through the first year. So much to learn, and much more relaxing for you to not be on your own sorting out problems.. They will occur... do to us all..and those 2 heads will be much better than one..
Have fun

It depends a bit how desperate you are to have bees....and, perhaps, honey.

I have known a lot of beginners who paid premium prices as they were so keen to have bees asap, only to regret it when swarms were issuing left, right and centre, or other beekeepers were awash with bees as a result of their swarm prevention/control. (Last year, some beginners bought two colonies, intending to have two, but ended up with three or four!)

If you can resist the temptation, perhaps work with the association apiary - or other members' apiaries - and see how the summer unfolds. You'll be much better equipped to deal with your own bees when they do arrive - you just can't beat practical experience to determine if it really is for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and hope you end up hooked!

Very true, I purchased nucs early in April 2014, and by June/July I had 10 colonies, with capturing free swarms all over the place, and I could have easily gone up to 20! (but I ran out of kit!).

Also early in the season, nucs/colonies are at a premium, later in the year, late April/May, Auction prices, for colonies were very low last year, it was almost purchase a complete national hive with super, and get free bees! (also with super of honey!)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am so keen to start but heeding advice and don't want to rush it and mess it all up hence wanting to wait a little longer to get bees until have at least half the beginners course - which is a mix of practical and theory under my belt.

I am a member of the boston association since September and will do my beginner course with them (a bit closer and my others halfs family live there!) but I have been given Petes details already and will get in touch with him especially as he is literally 10 minute drive away!

I am sure Pete will contact you when he reads this post. You will find him most helpful.

Mike

I just need a new queen.. have a foul, big colony. Having to wait till I can push a nice colony into producing queen cells, but in meantime I avoid opening them. Just needs to be done soon as don't want her drones out there.

Hi all,

Bee auctions are imminent. Don't worry, there's always a few (sometimes a lot) of hives with established colonies for sale. Some years prices are high, some years they are virtually given away.

Lincoln bee auction is advertised as 28th March at Lincoln showground just off the A15 North of Lincoln.

Back