When does the flow end.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honey flow

Hi, Peter thats has been our way thinking over the last few seasons .We have suffered no loses through the last few winters.Also the bees will start putting their stores in the brood box and stop filling the supers.They are better than us when it comes to the season closing in.

So much so, that last year two of my hives did not take any winter feed and went through a very long, cold winter. Spring inspection found plenty of remaining stores and left me wondering what they'd survived on.

again thanks one and all for your replies, to this ed i am going to tell my work mates to p--ss off, and hopefully get at least one super of honey due to living in the south London area.

regards Jim :party:

any flow would be good, I just want to get some honey in this my first year,
cant handle the p--s takers at work ribbing me for being a bee minder not a honey provider.

Tell them that you are a keeper of bees and the honey if you get some is a bonus. First year is a difficult one, I got only six and half pounds last year which was my first - more hopeful this year but time will tell
Louise

Out of interest.. lets say the flow slows so you do not get any more extra nectar in, will they continue to evaporate and cap what there is in the supers?

Thanks

Yes they will cap what they can - its their larder for the winter and needs to be safely stored.

Yes they will cap what they can - its their larder for the winter and needs to be safely stored.
Thanks for the info.

I was worried they would uncap and/or move stores from the supers to backfill the brood nest, or at least closer to the brood nest.

Blackberry nearly finished around my way,but I am still doing very well this year from the clover.

My plan is to extract when the flow from the clover finishes and try and get them all fed before the Ivy flow starts.

This is my second year, I left everything on last year for them to winter on, with the Balsam going right through to the first frosts so theoretically there's still plenty of time.

Latest posts

Back