When do you nadir your hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily. I done a varoa count on 1st Sept. The hive needs treated. I have apivar, which I cannot use with supers apparently. So I have nadired my super with the intension of taking it away once the honey taken up. My problem as a new beekeeper is, it has been 1 week now and the bees havnt taken a drop of honey up to the brood box. What should I do in order to treat the varoa
if you are not taking the honey off to eat - it doesn't matter if the super is on whilst you treat, and it doesn't matter whether the shallow is over or under the brood box - it's still on the hive whilst you treat, so will get the same 'contamination'.
if the super is full of honey, it should stay on top as it's unlikely the bees are going to shift it if it's nadired.

if you are not taking the honey off to eat - it doesn't matter if the super is on whilst you treat, and it doesn't matter whether the shallow is over or under the brood box - it's still on the hive whilst you treat, so will get the same 'contamination'.
if the super is full of honey, it should stay on top as it's unlikely the bees are going to shift it if it's nadired.
Ok. In your opinion, is it better to put the strips into brood box on top. while the hive is still nadired. Then move the honey supers back on to after 6 weeks

is it better to put the strips into brood box on top. while the hive is still nadired. Then move the honey supers back on to after 6 weeks
why nadir them in the first place if you are going to move them back later? they receive the same amount of 'contamination' whether they are over or under the deep

Do you have any ideas as to why the bees don't want to raise the honey up.

Why haven’t the bees shifted it up? Is it capped? Is there room in the brood box?
Yes there room in the brood box. The honey in the super is patialy capped, mostly uncapped. Not a full super either

why nadir them in the first place if you are going to move them back later? they receive the same amount of 'contamination' whether they are over or under the deep
Once theyd shifted the honey up, I was gonna take the super away to make the hive smaller over winter

No, it's still an abomination and an unnecessary fiddle.
If your bees need more room, either go double brood or chose a bigger hive.
I acquired a colony on a brood and half. I find it less intrusive to check 10/12 frames in a single than to wade through twice the number with the extra half. Less room for the queen to hide too.

Latest posts

Back