when are we starting to feed and use api life var

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbadger07

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
Hi everyone just start by thank you for all your replies.

My supers are off.

I've give them a little feed but have stopped as my queens are laying well.

Question is:

When are folks starting to feed.

Should I use api life var before or after as the treatment takes about 3 weeks. Would that be to late to start feeding....

Your response appreciatd, kind regards to all.

I live in the north west near Skipton.....

I'm feeding due to low stores, not happy with one of my sites

There is no one size fits all here.
It depends on your hives and your weather conditions.
I am currently using Apiguard and do not intend to feed at all this side of Christmas.
Do you need to feed?
Preferably get on with your IPM first and feed afterwards, unless they are starving. Three weeks should leave plenty of time for stores.
Cazza

Feeding as stores are low, temperature has dropped and very little in the way of forage. Autumn has come early to Devon!

Not a valid reason for eithef stooping, starting or continuing feeding!

Feeding is dependent on stores in the hive. NOTHING ELSE! No stores in winter - they need feeding. No stores in summer - they need feeding. No stores anytime - they need feeding. The requirement for feeding may be lack of forage and stores or lack of stores (midwinter could be construed as lack of forage, I suppose).

I only feed if they need it. Simple as that. In autumn, it may be a case of will need it before spring.

Keep beekeeping simple - because that is what it is.

Feeding

Hi Badger

I am local to you. I extracted the honey I was taking 2 weeks ago, and started treatment last week. However I am not feeding yet, as mine have some stores and are still foraging fairly strongly.

Feeding as stores are low, temperature has dropped and very little in the way of forage. Autumn has come early to Devon!

Ditto in Shropshire - 2 ltr rapid feeder on 3 hives yesterday due to low stores, just enough to keep them going I reckon. Will remove any residue Saturday as I plan to start Apiguard all as we are away to France (Nice) for a week next day. Lubbly jubbly.

Last edited:

Not a valid reason for eithef stooping, starting or continuing feeding!

Feeding is dependent on stores in the hive. NOTHING ELSE! No stores in winter - they need feeding. No stores in summer - they need feeding. No stores anytime - they need feeding. The requirement for feeding may be lack of forage and stores or lack of stores (midwinter could be construed as lack of forage, I suppose).

I only feed if they need it. Simple as that. In autumn, it may be a case of will need it before spring.

Keep beekeeping simple - because that is what it is.
:iagree:
Why are they low on stores, is it because you've taken it all? If that's the case you obviously have to replace it with something.

Yes I agree I will start treatment this evening. I have another hive on the heather which I will start treatment when I retrieve them later this week

I decided to apply Api Life Var to a hive on Friday. Broke the biscuit into four and placed on the top of the frames at the four corners as suggested. Called home today at lunchtime to look at the hive. My God!
Most of the bees were on the outside front of the hive and hardly any inside the hive on examination.
There were quite a few dead bees in the rapid feeder which is a first for me. There had been a few bees outside the hive for the first few days but today was beyond belief.
I took two of the pieces out of the hive and within a few hours most of the bees had returned to the hive. As for varroa there were only 27 on the sticky board. Not a massive mite drop over 5 days.
Any advice?

The manufacturer recommends that for Northern Europe it is better to put two tablets in at the beginning of treatment then 14 days later put in two more, in each case breaking up the tablets and distributing them around the edge of the brood next. Where exactly

sEE: http://www.----------------.co.uk/item/161/api-life-var (modern beekeeping site - URL not permitted but it's a useful article.)

"Northern Europe starts is somewhat arbitrary in the UK but for Scotland it may be more appropriate to follow this regime, also elsewhere in the UK if the treatment is started late and nighttime temperatures are falling. It is not a precise art and the risks of overdosing are small - but if the bees charge out of the hive and hang outside the entrance then they have been over-dosed! If this happens remove all tablet traces and wait for things to return to normal, then re-introduce a single tablet."

Well I've had a heavy mite drop and u can tell they are not happy. Unfortunately there's condensation in the floors also. U guess its cruel to be kind and I will inspect for losses and keep monitoring. Its a call for treatment tho before feeding starts. Wow the treatment last for 4 weeks.

Best carry on with treatment its cruel to be kind and temp hasn't dropped its quite warm today as well

Back