August Planning.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
This season I plan on treating on time! normally slips into September…..
so going to grab any late supers late July > 1st week August in preparation for Mite treatment.
so probably last few seasons I have used, Api Life Var, with good initial mite drop, but with my late starts I feel I miss out on effectivness,
considering Apistan this season, not used it befor, not a fan of MAQS.
I don’t have small Eke’s for Apiguard use,

any other pointers or reccomends.
weather wise I am Somerset / north Devon / South wales.
many thanks

well make some - even some inch square battens held together by gaffer tape is good enough.
I wouldn't touch pyrethroids with a bargepole, and anyhoo, Apistan is, on the whole, pretty ineffective nowadays as so many beekeepers have misused it and in many areas mites have built up a resistance; so as you plan on treating so early I'd go for Apiguard

last few seasons I have used, Api Life Var, with good initial mite drop, but with my late starts I feel I miss out on effectivness
ApiLifeVar will be effective as you mean to treat early, so save on eke work and use that again.

Apiguard & ApiLifeVar are similar in MO and varroa cannot develop resistance to either, as fumigation & mite damage is universal.

On the other hand, varroa are able, after a couple of years, to bypass the use of the specific piece of its jigsaw attacked by chemical treatments (aka resistance).

so going to grab any late supers late July > 1st week August in preparation for Mite treatment.
so probably last few seasons I have used, Api Life Var, with good initial mite drop, but with my late starts I feel I miss out on effectivness,

many thanks
Four bits of wood, eight screws/nails, you have an Apiguard eke.

B&Q sell strip timber/moulding at various sizes. There will be something there you can add to an existing crown board to do the job.

Making an Eke… is not the stumbling block…. I just want to try another treatment and not add yet more piles of kit.
I am flattered by the top tips for making one….. oh I build sets for film & Tv😀

many thanks
I have clear crownboards with beespace rims one size and 25mm on the other. Simply flip over when using Apiguard. A close fitting sheet of insulation can be fitted in the deeper side with a section cut out to accommodate a tub of fondant if required. The photo shows polystyrene but Kingspan is now my preferred option

Attachments

• DSC_0104.JPG
    DSC_0104.JPG
    882.2 KB · Views: 2
try another treatment and not add yet more piles of kit
In which case, you have two options: Apitraz chemical strips or ApiLifeVar soft chemical biscuits, approved for organic beekeeping.

To add to your conundrum, Italian research in 2001 showed that efficacy of thymol treatments was improved by increasing the gap between top bar and crownboard ceiling, so whether you want to try Apiguard in a tray or stick with ApiLifeVar, an eke seems to be the way to go.

An eke gives the product fumes a bit more space to evaporate and mingle.
One could always give vaping ago but it involves adding more useful kit.

not add yet more piles of kit.
I have at least as many ekes as brood boxes. They're really versatile.

- to make space for apiguard/apilife var

- to place under a clearer board so bees in the super have somewhere to clear to

- to hold insulation in winter (or in hot summers).

- to make space for fondant in winter

- drill a small hole in one side to use to OA vape (can pack out after vaping)

- same hole in eke can make an entrance when doing a Bailey

plus probably loads more I can't think of right this minute.

Latest posts

Back