Whats your new year resolution?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So what do you plan to do differently this year that you didnt do last. In beekeeping I mean ?

Me - Plan ahead mor and keep better records. I only have one hive but even I was caught out last year when it was april and I hadnt use the winter months to do anything other than read books. No frames made up or any preparations. I intent to try and do it as best i can this time.

Decided to make sure I have a nuc box in case i catch an unexpected swarm. so making one this week.

Need to make some spare hive parts. floors crown/clearer boards etc

Phill

To spend less time on the forum,,,,,,,,...erm. ?!,,,.,. Doh !

To spend less time on the forum,,,,,,,,...erm. ?!,,,.,. Doh !

:iagree: The rate of pay is poor and the kids have gone feral. :party:

Otherwise it's getting an earlier start to queen rearing as we seem to be getting good weather more consistently here in the early part of the year.

Get my bees through the winter...:(

Spend less money and buy double in the sales so it works out cheaper!
;)

So what do you plan to do differently this year that you didnt do last. In beekeeping I mean ?

Me - Plan ahead mor and keep better records. I only have one hive but even I was caught out last year when it was april and I hadnt use the winter months to do anything other than read books. No frames made up or any preparations. I intent to try and do it as best i can this time.

Decided to make sure I have a nuc box in case i catch an unexpected swarm. so making one this week.

Phill

Hi there,
My pennies worth. If you are using the 'box' to house swarms then I would make it six frames and nice and light. Most swarms are too large for a nuc based on what I hived this summer, but the swarm box worked for a couple of weeks for some of them just to make sure she was laying before further investment. Also, bees can chew their way out of a card board box (as mine did when left overnight), so I consider my swarm box a good investment. It gives more ventilation as well on a hot summer's afternoon.

Get my bees through the winter...:(

Hi Luminos,
:iagree: that should be everyones New Year's resolution. Changed my mind as to why I lost my nuc now in clearing it out. Had about 2,500-3,000 bees on four frames, but no stores at all left in the comb. They had not got to the fondant through the hole in the crown board in large enough numbers!

Phill

Hi there,
My pennies worth. If you are using the 'box' to house swarms then I would make it six frames and nice and light. Most swarms are too large for a nuc based on what I hived this summer, but the swarm box worked for a couple of weeks for some of them just to make sure she was laying before further investment. Also, bees can chew their way out of a card board box (as mine did when left overnight), so I consider my swarm box a good investment. It gives more ventilation as well on a hot summer's afternoon.

To read the bees better, to stop worrying when there is nothing to be done save learn from it.
To discover the secret about my husbands immunity from stings.

To have more confidence in myself with regard to the bees. I'm in my fourth year now and feel I should be able to a/s etc without constantly questioning myself and losing sleep over it. Also, I should have the confidence to contribute more to the forum instead of just being a voyeur.

To drink more.

Hi Luminos,
:iagree: that should be everyones New Year's resolution. Changed my mind as to why I lost my nuc now in clearing it out. Had about 2,500-3,000 bees on four frames, but no stores at all left in the comb. They had not got to the fondant through the hole in the crown board in large enough numbers!

That's why it's an idea to put fondant on top of QE! Never mind....we're all always learning!
E

Don't know really! I think I done OK last year, I have got to make more equipment but that's what i done last year, Might have a go at queen rearing if my colonies are strong enough but you can read all the books you like but until you've had hands on experience your really don't know how to do it properly without making too many mistakes.

To stay with only five hives at the end of the season.

To stop eating hunks of butter.

Cazza

Don't know really! I think I done OK last year, I have got to make more equipment but that's what i done last year, Might have a go at queen rearing if my colonies are strong enough but you can read all the books you like but until you've had hands on experience your really don't know how to do it properly without making too many mistakes.

You should join in with our association queen rearing project - Matt needs some assistants (me being away half the time)
I've resolved to be a bit more organised (beekeeping wise not so bad - it's the rest of my life that's chaos) and also try and put quality time aside for the important things because life can be too short and then it's too late.

Latest posts

Back